Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I check my E-mails 1st. thing in the morning and last thing in the evening. (try to). I think that a Big Time-Waster is when you receive E-mails that are addressed to "ALL"

Kimberly,

I share your feelings about "Reply to All." I often use only the BCC as the address bar for announcements that have multiple recipents so that those who reply to everyone only wind up replying to me. Unfortunately, I have not figured out a method for reducing the impact of "Reply to All" on email that originate elsewhere.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Personal time wasters include excessive email checking and facebook checking. I only check my email twice a day and facebook after hours. I also found that chatting with co workers took a lot of time during the day as well. I didn't cut that out completely but did cut down on the non work related conversations.

Julie,

It sounds like you have a solid understanding of what works for you. You were wise to not give up all 'chatting" with co-workers as that can sometimes one seem rude, unfriendly or disinterested. Not many folks have the self-discipline to ignore social media while at work.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I have found several key things that are "time-wasters." I would definitely have to say that the cell phone has become such a easily accessible device that it is so easy to pull out and look at more times in a day than you could probably count. I would have to say that personally I need to take the time to put the phone away in my area I have for storage and only check it during breaks and/or after class.

Brian,

There is a reason one type of phone garnered the nickname "crackberry." If we are not careful, we can easily fall into the trap of sending too much time looking at our phone and becoming subject to the distractions it can present.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I deleted my email icon off my phone, so I only have a habit of checking it every day once I get to work.

Monica,

That is a good strategy, although I am not sure very many folks would be comfortable doing that.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I would definitely have to say an over-reliance on emails. It is great way to communicate with your colleagues, but a lot of time is wasted on back and forth emails that could easily be solved with a verbal conversation. I have lost count the number of times by emailing coworkers, but face-to-face would have solved the problem much quicker.

The way to minimize email time waster is determine if verbal communication is better for the situation. If it is, then you meet face-to-face. Otherwise, use email constructively.

I never thought about wasted time on checking emails until you brought this up. I think I could save a lot of time by doing this at certain intervals.

David,

I have found turn Outlook off to be very helpful. Starting and stopping other work to check email seems to reduce both my accuracy and productivity.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I agree going to start checking emails at certin times everyday rather than every time they come in!

Danielle,

I have found this effective. I hope it works for you. Please be sure to note some "retraining" of the folks that typically email you and expect an immediate response may be necessary.

Jeffrey Schillinger

My time waster would have to be email. I get so many and unfortunately so many do not require action. It is hard to manage this and ensure you do not miss something with a critical due date. We should not be working in what I call a "reactive" mode via email. So many of the things that come across email, we should already have on our schedule, our goals and be working on. Then, we get the email, we just check it off. I try to limit myself to checking email 4 times a day, maximum so I can be productive at work. I don't always accomplish this, but when I do, I certainly get much more accomplished.

One example is not sticking to the agenda. We have several meetings that have solid agendas but once we start to go off topic, then meetings run late. It is the responsibility of the host or designated moderator of the meeting to table the discussion for another time (and/or remind the group of our priorities) to maintain true to the goals of the meeting.

Nelson,

What you suggest can be difficult to do, especially if the person taking the off ramp is a superior. How do you handle this situation?

Jeffrey Schillinger

It took me several months to realize, I do not have to response to every email immediately. David is correct concerning turning off Outlook as you are working on a project or assignment. The constant notice of new emails became a distractor for me. I check my email 3 times a day and divide my email into two section, now and later. I read my emails the first hour in the office. These emails are placed in a "now" section and a "later" section. The now emails are answered in the morning. The later emails are answered the last 30 minutes of the day.e

Shana,

This sounds like a great plan. I hope it continues to work for you.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I leave my email up but under other programs that are open. I check both at the beginning and end of my shift and possibly in a lull during class as I walk the room constantly. It isn't a priority, therefore not inclined to let it interrupt my normal work schedule.

Timothy,

You have a good system. Far too often folks become slaves to their email.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment