Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I tend to respond to or send emails without thoroughly thinking my response through and I end up needing to send a second or third clarification email. I have noticed myself doing this recently and am really making a concerted effort to fully think through my response before beginning to craft my email. Sending two or three emails is a waste of my time and the recipient's time as well.

Beth

Hi Wendey,

I have started trying to keep my Inbox as a sort of To Do List. I file away or delete any emails that I don't need to respond to or those I was able to already respond to. I try to keep only those emails in my Inbox that I have not yet responded to or need to have there for quick reference. I too get about 150 to 175 emails a day and one day of getting a bit behind can really make for a hectic next few days!

Beth

Hi Kenny,

It sounds as if you are "earning" your internet surfing time since you are getting all of your deadlines met and your work done. Perhaps you would rather use that time doing something else like exercising or cleaning your house? :) Or maybe you get all of that done too. I love surfing when I have a few minutes of time and actually get most of my news online so see it as actually being a good use of my down time.

Beth

Had to smile-have received dozen communications on "Time Wasters" though they have been interesting. We work through up to 50 emails daily- especially with start week. If we could have more phone converstation or conference calls instead of multiple e's we could cut back. In one month of poor email house keeping we can approach 1,000 that need attention or reading. I am going to lead out with a few conf. calls. pj

Thanks, Pat. I have found picking up the phone and discussing an issue is more "time-effective" than the string of emails that can result form one or two questions.

Thanks, Beth.

I am often too quick to respond to emails and wind up having to write extra emails. In my effort to be quick, I wind up slowing down the process.

It helps to always reread the email or save it as draft for rereading later.

We post a sign "Open - Please Come In" so the students know that we are available, but it cuts down on the distractions and the ones that just come in to visit.

We have started the same type of procedure, we have a sign on our doors to let students know our hours and this lets our managers and other staff have the time to prepare for the day and work on projects.
This seems to be working and students have not had much to say about the change. It defiantly slowed down the drop in unannounced visits.

Exactly Jeffrey! I feel as if I am doing the right thing by responding to these emails immediately but some ultimately do require some thought and planning and my prompt responses usually do end up costing me more time as I have to go back and clarify or ask additional questions, etc.... I am really trying to work on making sure that I have thoroughly thought through my response before sending.

Thanks,

Beth

Taking time out of the day to read and respond to Facebook, it can become very addictive. I’m so glad I didn’t get into texting because that would be even worse. There is a time and place for socializing and now I know I need to prioritize it.

Thanks, George!

Social media sites can really be distracting. Many have suggested that it is best not to have them open at work except during breaks.

In my opinion, one of the biggest time wasters that I see in my line of work, is not starting and ending meetings on time. I am a firm believer in not wasting peoples time and therefore, always begin meetings on time, even if everyone isn't in attendance yet. Furthermore, I always try to give an agenda beforehand and a start time and I will always start promptly whether everyone is present or not. I figure after someone walks into a meeting late once or twice, he or she will start to realize that meetings will always begin on time and will then get there on time.

Also, sticking to the agenda is important. If not, there will be a lot of time wasted in a meeting. I know there may be unexpected topics or questions and/or concerns that come up, but aside from those, I believe it's important to stick to an agenda.

My bigest time waster is meeting that just drag on and I find out at the meeting was thast same old song that we talked about last week, over and over again. I find it tuff to sit through. So I bring work for me to do. Thats how I get through it.

I would have to say my biggest time waster is procrastination. It doesnt consume a great deal of time, but I know I do it. I tend to get overwhelmed with stuff to do, and trying to find a starting place seems impossible. So I procrastinate. But I am going to try and apply some of the priciples i learned in time management to help with this problem more effectively.

Thanks, Jason.

Which of the principles from the course do you feel will make a difference as you battle procrastination?

Probably how to break my tasks down into managable chunks, and then prioritize them. I think that has been the main key i have been missing.

Thanks, Jason. I hope it works well for you.

One of my biggest time-wasters would be getting distracted. If I am working on something and get distracted, I have a really bad problem getting back on task.

I usually use email also, because that way they can answer it when it is a good time for them.

Thank you, Valencia.

What factors would make you decide that a face-to-face discussion is more appropriate than email?

Sign In to comment