Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Objectivity is always my best recourse. Taking the information from either side, and doing an internal audit of my reaction if the situation involved myself, always allows me enough time to consider my solutions and choose the most appropriate one.

Alainna,
Objectivity and empathy for the parties is a great approach to a solution. Another technique is never to let yourself become emotionally involved. It seems your approach is a good method to resolve most issues.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I watch for emotional outbursts, withdrawn behavior and avoidance of certain individuals. All three can be clues that a problem has arisen.

Robert,
Being an observer of body language, habits, verbal communication and habits all are useful when dealing with all people. Being able to analyze these traits can help for more productive conversations.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Most of my interaction is with students and many come in with attitudes so I try to defuse same by listening to their questions to try and understand what brought on the attitude in the first place.

The persons tone of voice and body language are identifiers that there is a potential for a difficult interaction. My first reaction would be to take that person into a quiet area and listen to what they have to say. Let them know that you understand their feelings and try to keep them from getting defensive. Then the two of you can be more productive in working out a solution.

I look for a change in their attitude towards you. In my experience, if a person who normally is copacetic with you changes their interaction with you negatively, (I.E. Short responses, aggressive body language, etc)that becomes a signal of there is something wrong between you and that person.

Sharon,
All attitudes are caused by some precedent event. If we could discern the activity we can diminish the inappropriate behavior or attitude. What you have been practicing is an excellent technique.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Annette,
It is a proven fact that 87% of good communication comes from listening. You approach is a good one to listen intently on their issues and then be supportive with guidance in the correct direction.

Dr. Gary Carlson

andrew,
Approaching any issues with your people is through good listening first. Once you have a handle on what brought them to this point gives you a head start on solving the conflict. If the communicator has someone to listen with sincerity you will have a better chance of moving forward.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I look for changes in mannerisms, body language and tone of voice. Someone could just be having an off moment, so i really take my time to observe closely.

treva,
These are good techniques. Good communication requires good observation of body language and listening to what they are saying. Listening is 87% of communication. Behavior of the person is a indication of an earlier experience. You being observant helps to have a productive outcome.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I hear each side of the story and see ways to resolve the issue some we all can work together.

I look for the work styles and see if there need to be any improvement or how can we support one anther work styles and respect it.

Kourtnee,
Your ability to see the issue on a reasonable and equitable level helps to come up with a fair and just direction. Hearing both sides is a essential to good leadership.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Kourtnee,
Every task needs to fit into the mission of the company. If your challenges are being met with success then their has to be support for those who are achieving. The beauty of working with many people is there is a diversity on approaching the challenges. We don't have to be alike to succeed in the process.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Dr. Carlson,

I am a very strong communicator with good understanding of non-verbal communication. Unfortunately, I have a superior that I deal with who has a bullying mentality. You are only as good as your last good accomplishment and if you are in the "good old boy network". I have over 32 years in my field and I am having great difficulty with this type of personality. He is a very verbally abusive type person. I am hoping that by taking this course that I will find common ground with him and move on to a better more communicative positive relationship with better interaction in the future. This course is helping me learn ways to be a better listener and also to realize that perceptions can be important and if the other person having the conflict fails to acknowledge their part, coming to work everyday with be a bad experience. After working with this company for 5 years, I am feeling strongly about looking for employment elsewhere if these issues cannot be resolved. Please give me some insight into things you would recommend. I would be appreciative for any help.

Thank you,

Pam

Pamela,
We all need to understand our worth in the work place. Self-confidence should not be at the expense of who you are and what you do. Confidence is a sign of a good leader. When you show your talent it may intimidate someone who is a bully personality. My recommendation is to stay true to yourself. If that is not accepted you are best to move on with your talents.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I just try to meet the person where they are at, and not pull past experiences into the current scene. This way I don't make assumptions about the issue.

Tammy,
After working with behavior problem students in special education I realized the best policy is to remain calm and remove the issue away from the other students. The same is true for adults. If your emotion raises so does the person you are talking with.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment