Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Team Engagement

What are some strategies that could be used to ensure that every team member is actively engaged and productive?

1) Encourage open communication
2) Discourage groupthink
3) Set goals for the team as a whole-and evaluate them as such

Encourage open communication-so ask your staff for ideas and insight in a judgment-free way

Discourage groupthink-so make people feel they can have ideas that deviate, especially if they're in the best interest of the group

Set goals for the team as a whole-people seem a little more apt to work toward a "team" goal instead of thinking individually

Andrea,

I would add you might want to encourage individual thinking too. If not...the team may develop a herd mentality.

Ron Obstfeld

Some of the strategies to engage team members are to select every member on the basis of their knowledge and experience to perform a task. Seek out team members' opinions and use them. cultivate an environment in which everyone feels comfortable making contributions.

Philip,
Teams also provide a developmental opportunity for staff members to build or reinforce a variety of skills....communication, organization, interpersonal relationships, etc.

Ron Obstfeld

Encourage open communication: creating a "safe zone" where ideas can be shared freely
Discourage groupthink: Keep reminding the team that there is more than one way to approach our goals and that for the team to be successful new insight must be allowed and encouraged "thinking out of the box"
Setting goals and evaluate them helps keep everyone fresh, on track and moving forward

Donna,
Good thoughts! Setting the example when working with teams...either as a member or a supervisor is also important.Ensuring timely and frequent feedback assures project success and help with team development.

Ron Obstfeld

1. Value each team member: Make everyone feel like they add value to the team

2. Recognize each member's contribution: Make each team member feel comfortable to share new idea's

3. Lead by example : Model the behavior you expect from your team member's

Leeann,
Excellent points. For me modeling is the extremely important. Another approach is explaining the ground rules at the very beginning. This is an opportunity to explain how the team will work and why the ground rules are important. This approach often help avoid distracting behavior and save time.

Ron Obstfeld

1.Provide a balance of guidance and empowerment
2.Create clearly defined goals and strategies to complete them
3.Use the individual strengths of team members when assigning tasks

James,
Good answer. As a leader, you should also have established status updates to ensure the teams direction and dynamics keep on track.

Ron Obstfeld

1. Weekly performance evaluations
2. Follow with weekly meetings for sole purpose of providing performance feedback.
3. Ask for their input: do they feel engaged? Do they feel productive?
4. If the answersn are no, ask why and how could it be improved.

Build an atmosphere of trust and engagement. Show appreciation with discussion. Make it okay to disagree. Work on problem solutions, not just identifying problems.

David,
You might consider the weekly meetings a status updates rather than performance reviews. This might be less intimating. the final review should be an after action review of the teams accomplishments and results.

Ron Obstfeld

Michael,
How do you build the atmosphere of trust and engagement?

Ron Obstfeld

I would maintain open dialogue seeking out team opinions and ideas and develop strategies implement them. I would then give credit to the team when we are successful and seek input when we have areas to improve. I would also foster an environment of mutual respect by setting clear boundaries for behavior. Only in a safe environment will the participants feel safe enough to take risks and give their input.

Marie,
Great! Another idea to consider is to let various team members assume the leader role....under your guidance. They gain valuable experience and empathy for the leadership role and team dynamics.

Ron Obstfeld

We often have issues with team engagement. I find it helpful to invite those "quiet" individuals into the conversation. It is very important to have input from all members of the team.

Paula ,
Good idea. I would also do some individual coaching for the "quiet" individuals. Explain what you are doing and why. Ask how you might make them more comfortable contributing.

Ron Obstfeld

Sign In to comment