Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Within team meetings or events assign each member something to discuss or train others on. Also give responsibility before the meeting to each person to bring ideas to the meeting for the topics to discuss. Each member will then understand it's role but also have responsibility and ownership in the meeting.

I would clearly describe the goals of the team and establish clear ground rules, roles and responsibilities. I would further elaborate that the strength of the team is dependent upon the participation of each individual.

Jim,
Reiteration is more of a passive techniques. Can you think of more proactive measures you might employ?

Ron Obstfeld

I will tend to sit back and not say a lot in a large group of people. I thinkit is important to ask the people who arent talking if they would like to offer something.

Shara,
Agreed. A leader should continue to find ways to ensure all opinions are expressed and considered.

Ron Obstfeld

I would start with creating a safe inviting environment by encouraging the team to think out of the box, once we have an open line of communication strategically involve those who are not participating in a non threatening way by encouraging their participation.

jerome,
How, exactly, might you encourage participation?

Ron Obstfeld

I would make sure that I am actively listening in team members to see who is comfortable with participating and who is not, then I would check-in with individual staff members if I noticed that they were quiet or haven't been as productive.

Jessica,
What are some techniques you might use to engage those staff members that are not participating?

Ron Obstfeld

I think it is very important that a leader makes all feel comfortable enough in the situation to add thier opinionl. So many times we feel that what we have to say is not listened to but we are supposed to feel like what we say matters, when we know it does not.

Shara,
If you feel you are not being listened to....I suggest you approach your leader with this concern. It may just be an unconscious matter of style. If it is more than that, then you will be opening a dialog toward resolution.

Ron Obstfeld

I am one of the individuals who sits quiet in meetings. I tend to do more listening and evaluation than talking. If a point comes up that is needs to be addressed, I will speak up unless another addresses it quicker. I don't see it as being a non-participant, but rather an active listener and team player.

Chad,
Yours might be a case that exemplifies....its not how often you speak....but what you say....that is important. You should also consider the competitive environment you are in. What types of behavior are valued by your organization and or leader. You may need to modify your behavior to be successful and meet expectations.

Ron Obstfeld

I had a class once where we were put into teams for 6 weeks. Every week a different person on the team was the team leader. They had specific duties to perform and papers to turn in, outlining how each team member participated that week. It was really a great way to make sure all participated.

Shara,
Sounds like an interesting exercise. I would add, this would be a great opportunity to comment how each "leader" did. What worked well and what skills require more development.

Ron Obstfeld

I would also rely on the expertise of the individuals to report in their specific areas.

Carolyn,
Good tactic. Ensure they give enough detail to ensure you can assess their progress and the team can learn from the experts.

Ron Obstfeld

I will begin to use the team surveys from this course to begin with; I think they will be incredibly helpful. One way that I check for engagement and productivity is to simply communicate. I hold monthly 1-to-1 meetings and 'one-up' meetings with my team to determine if we are all on the same page with our goals and objectives. In addition, I hold monthly "EMT" meetings (Education Management Team)to share information and problem solve with my program directors. In addition, my Program Directors have one-to-one meetings with their faculty and share information with me from those meetings during their one-to-ones with me.

Carrie,
Sounds like to have an excellent communication streams. Good luck with the surveys.

Ron Obstfeld

A number of the concepts presented in this course overlap with what I have learned about common courtesy and sensitivity.

Everyone is human and as such everyone has desires to achieve, succeed and to be recognized for what they do.

My strategies for team efforts are as following:
a) Right out the gate, ask every team member to share their perspective regarding the project and regarding how they will be able to help complete the assignment (achieve the goal). This verbal engagement collects diverse and convergent views on the team project. It also allows all team members to talk about what they hope to contribute.
b) The steps for completing the project (accomplishing the goals) are discussed and consensus is sought. The steps become the action plan and include timing for completion.
c) Specific assignments are made (with due dates and tasks/actions that need to be completed). Each individual team member is asked to confirm or commit to their respective tasks and completion timing.
d) Regular meeting times are schedules so that the team may come together to discuss all progress. An agenda is published by the Team Leader in advance so that everyone is aware of the meeting expectations - and everyone is able to prepare accordingly.

This approach engages all members and it monitors and tracks progress. Regular meetings allow the entire team to provide content and opinions on all elements of the project.

These are just some thoughts which I believe are consistent with this course content - but they also are courteous and sensitive.

Carol Sagers

Sign In to comment