Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We will at times meet at a "coffee break" (not really a break, but a break from the desk) and chat about what could and could not be successfully completed.

Shelly,
Great technique. AN informal setting is many time the most honest and productive.

Ron Obstfeld

Strategies to encourage participation is to make sure that each member has a role with the task at hand. Making sure that there are clear expectations in regards to the role a team members plays.

From the very inception of the group or group project, I would informally survey each member to have them articulate the strengths they bring to the group or project. That lets me know what those strengths are, but having them articulate their own strengths (rather than me as team leader tell them what their strengths are) can empower them to act on their strengths and bring them to bear on the team's goals. They may be flattered to hear what *I* think their goals are, but if they're not persuaded, they may not act on them. But if they generate them themselves, they may be more willing to demonstrate their strengths in order to support their having identified them. For example, a team member may feel empowered to say, "In our first meeting, when you asked, I had said that one of my strengths is forward thinking. Well, I've taken some of our suggestions for this project and mapped out some of the possible intended and unintended consequences of each of our suggestions. Here they are..."

Robert,
Good approach. You would still need to add structure and time frames to ensure there is no duplication of effort and that the work is getting done in a timely manner.

Ron Obstfeld

I give team members the chance to consider themselves "leaders" in their own right. Their ideas and suggestions are looked upon as "try it and see how it works". They report back on its success or failure.

Have each team member assigned a task or tasks (can be done within subgroups) that are self-reported back prior to, and within, each meeting. This technique employs the peer-pressure-productivity method to get better results. Using this method will also identify nonpruducing team members early enough to give the leader a chance to remedy the situation.

When it comes to strategies that could be used to ensure the engagement and productivity of the different members of a team, there are many ways to it:

1)Establishing rules for participation – By establishing ground rules that members of the team must follow, ensures a broad participation of each individual. This can also provide a unified guideline for the different team members to help them focus on a clear path in which to follow; and, also prevent time-wasters.

2)Confirm that each individual understands their roles, responsibilities, and task within the team and create a method to keep track of progress – When there is an understanding of what is expected from each member, a purpose is created for that fellow participant in which they must uphold to contribute for the success of the team. These “purposes” can be tracked to determine if that individual member has been engaged or productive.

3)Provide positive feedback, recognition, and rewards to bring out the best of each individual – When recognition of accomplishment is provided when needed, this can drive a member or members of a team to provide their best effort for current task and future task to come.

These are but some methods to ensure the engagement and productivity of the different members of a team.

Engaging everyone on a team can be tedious at best! However, once successful strategy I have employed is allowing autonomy while working on the team. Each member is a "leader" in their own right. We draw on the strengths and natural abilities. In turn, the are far more productive and happy.

I agree. I have used the same strategy and it's been very successful.

I like the strategy of allowing each team member to verbalize their perspective on the project. This adds "depth and weight" to their contribution. In addition, it fosters the notion that everyone on the team has value.

When meeting with your team, one should prepare by pre-distributing effective tools such as surveys, questionnaires, team objectives and goals. Setting expectations that everyone will discuss their feedback and collectively reach a conclusion by majority vote.

Also, I liked the perspective of periodically rotating a team ambassador for additional concerns and opinions.

Encourage ownership by applying individual tasks based on strengths.
Swap team positions to cross pollinate and share in leadership.

Try not appointing a leader so to speak. Make every team member feel valued and ask input from everyone, and discuss each idea. This can help eliminate future problems that may occur by making every member feel that their individual opinion was at the least considered.

there are several books you can read to help with this as well

I believe communication is a solvent to most problems. But it must be open, honest, respected, as well as, respectful! As a new leader, communicating the expectations and objectives of that leader is important, but also the communication of what is expected of the leader by his/her subordinates. Group or team activities can enhance free and honest communication, especially when they are in support of the group personally and professionally. Creating a team that is more like family can produce and ensure team engagement and productivity. This allows for future team goals to perhaps supersede the goals of an individual, which will only promote the furtherance of team goals!!

Brandi,
Good reply. I would suggest that the team stay on a professional level. Treating the team as "family" can sometime be too familiar.

Ron Obstfeld

I like to have progress meetings one on one with team members. It lets me see where they are in the project and coach them if needed and it is not in front of the other team members so no one is highlighted. It also, more impotantly, allows them to ask questions about methods they want to use and again it is private so misunderstandings do not result in withdraw.

Allowing everyone to verbalize makes team members feel as if they concerns or ideas are being heard and discussed

Sign In to comment