Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

CAROL,
Thank you for your comments. Your system looks like it accomplishes many of the course principles and concepts. How is your process working? Are you and the team getting the anticipated results?

Ron Obstfeld

I agree with the post below. I believe that if individuals have a sense of ownership and a strong part in the process and that their part is valued, the individuals than feel more apart of the process thus keeping them more engaged and productive.

I feel assigning each person a job to do will keep that person actively engaged in the group.

nutisha,

It's a good start. You should also make sure each person is matched with a task that they can do or learn. Additionally a commuication system should be apoplied to ensure that tasks are being completed to the required quality and timeframes.

Ron Obstfeld

By using a inclusive style of management everyone feels they "own" a piece of the outcome. Once everyone feels they've made meaningful input on a subject, they want it it succeed, and with your whole team working together towards a common goal, success (group and individual) should come easier.

Herman,
I agree with the concept but you have not explained the strategies you would use to in your "inclusive style".

Ron Obstfeld

I like to give each individual a task to complete that's needed to achieve the desired outcome.

First Assess fit between team members and their tasks.

Then
Allow them to be creative through
diversity of styles / skills
types of thinking

Be a part of the team - work WITH your team

Brad,
How would you ensure productivity of the team?

Ron Obstfeld

I think encouraging communication by creating a safe zone. This way ideas can be communicatied without fear of rebuttal.
And discouraging groupthink by reminding the group that there are multiple solutions to our group challanges. Also, for the team to grow, new viewpoints must be cultivated and encouraged.
Set goals and evaluate them. This will help everyone to keep freash eyes on ytheir challanges.

w,
Creating a safe zone sounds good. The trick is to prove to team members how it works. People are skeptical about such rhetoric especially in today's corporate environment.

Ron Obstfeld

By checking in with the members to see if they need help or any other feedback. Also establish deadlines for the team members to share there work with the team.

Brad,
Consider close monitoring early on to ensure there is positive team interaction. If not, you can make a course correction early on.

Ron Obstfeld

Some strategies to ensure that every team member is actively engage includes:
1. To participate actively in all meetings. It isn't enough to show up to the meetings and being silent. Participation is encouraged and expected.
2. Encourage team members to use their creativity
3. Be open to discuss different points of view
4.If there is a low production asks that team member why. Be prepared to discuss the answers given. Example: lack of knowledge on the subject, how can that be solved?

Carol,
I think you are right on point by bringing a step by step approach towards the team engagement in a simple format that is easy to apply. Depending on the task, timeframes and meetings are allocated to monitor progress. Excellent layout where all parties are involved and contribute towards positive resolution. Way to go! Jorge

Goal setting. Individual participation and ownership on the team.

Luis,

You might also include appropriate feedback on a regular schedule.

Ron Obstfeld

I also agree that assignment task is a must to encourage team engagement, but those task must be assigned according to team members strengths to ensure the highest achievement of desired outcomes.

Getting everyone engaged on a team can be a chore sometime.....especially when someone is appointed ! I agree with some else on here that courtesy is a good start. Ask the person(s) who is/are holding back what their concerns are then work through the problems to resolve their issues with the project. From personal conflicts to the age-old "I don't to be here" can usually be resolved.

To instill in the team members that each of them can contribute something, from their own experience and background, that will contribute to the success of the team as a whole.

Sign In to comment