Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tammy,

I find these are helpful for me to get started developing a rubric, but then I tweak it to make it my own and make sure it is connected to the learning objectives. Thanks for your input.

Hi Class,

Per the training, we can use resources such as Rubistar, Google searches, and Rcampus Rubric Gallery. As I have been teaching for a while, I have often done a Google search for a rubric and tailored it to my needs for my class. I will change the headers if needed as well as the points so that I can make sure that it fits what my students are being graded on.

When you think about this a little further, it is better to develop a rubric with a little bit of guidance; therefore, I will do the search quite often.

Simone,

There are many online resources for rubrics and you listed a few good ones. I use them to get started, but always tweak them to ensure the rubrics aligns with my course objectives. Thanks!

You are right about there being several online resources for you to develop a rubric. I know that I use them quite a bit when I have to develop a rubric. These is not a hard process, but as stated in the training you must plan for it when you are developing your rubric. I will say that I do tend to like rubrics that are standard and have been designed by the university. The reason why I like these is because it levels the playing field across all classes taught at the university. What I mean by this is someone in my MKT100 class will be graded on the same assignment and criteria as someone in another instructor's MKT100 class.

Simone,

Planning is a key component to developing an appropriate rubric that is connected to the learning objectives. You're right - you can't just "throw a rubric together" without planning and expect it to be a viable tool for all courses/sections of a course. Thanks!

I have found some useful examples on Rubistar but I typically adapt anything I find for my own purposes based on a checklist that I have used to identify components of an assignment. I typically have to adjust the tool based on the level of the students in a particular class. I also have found that the term Rubric is not well known to students so I prefer using Grading Criteria since that seems to be better understood by most students.

Janet,

Me too. I get an idea from online resources, but then tweak it to make it my own. Good point.

This is a good place to start

Kevin,

Yes, it is. We have to tweak rubrics to make sure they meet our needs and the needs of the students.

Our Learning Management system now incorporates rubrics into the package. Moodle with the advent of version 2.6 has the ability to build, evaluate, and use rubrics with most of the assignments and discussion board grading. I think for many online instructors that is where we are going to see rubrics going; built directly into the LMS.

-Chris

Dr. Christopher,

Isnt' that AWESOME! Ours does too. I love it and the students love it! It's so convenient.

One that I have used, and I know others have too, is located at http://rubistar.4teachers.org/index.php.

I came across it a few years ago when I needed to create a rubric for an assignment in one of my classes. It was very helpful and it's a great tool.

I am seeing more rubrics included/incorporated in many of the assigned courses, and it helps quite a bit. I know that whenever I am assigned to create a rubric I will look at this and see other resources that can be used.

David,

Yes, I like rubistar. It's a great place to start and then I tweak the rubric to meet the students' needs and help them reach the learning objectives.

Dr. Crews,

I have used rubrics designed by other educators in my institution. These have been tested and revised several times. I also, search online for other rubrics that meet my needs. I have developed my own rubrics as well. However, I need additional feedback on my own rubrics to ensure that students are getting what they need in the way of clarity.

Jeannine Wieland

I have not discovered a Rubric that is relevant to what I am teaching; however, I will review this Generator to see what it has to office. When grading I like a Rubric to have the scale included where it adds the scores automatically, summating the points and providing the score with comments on the areas of selection. I realize that this does not exist but definitely something which I would like to develop which is somewhat part of a Decision Support System with algorithms.

Mike

Jeannine,

Sounds like you have an effective plan in using and revising your rubrics. Keep it up!

Michael,

What do you teach? Would be interesting to talk about it in this forum. Thanks!

Hello:

The following resources are used th develop rubrics: Rubistar, searching for rubrics, rcampus rubric gallery. Rubistar is a tool that provides templates for creating rubrics while the other tools provide a way for finding information used in other institutions.

Yvette Jimmerson

Yvette,

Thanks for the resources. I use these sometimes but then tweak the rubrics to exactly meet my needs.

Hello,
To develop rubrics I have used others that I have read or examined in online courses I took.

I also developed one myself and it did take a while. After using it for a while I found that I had to be clearer in what I expected.

It was a good exercise.

Robin Jonas

Sign In to comment