Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson,
The rubrics I used are created by the course developers. But the online resource of Rubistar is my favorite online resource for developing rubrics because of its simplicity.
Sincerely,
Walter
9-7-12

Walter,

Just make sure pre-made rubrics really do match to the learning outcomes and not just steps in an assignment.

Rubistar is a good tool http://rubistar.4teachers.org/ It follows a step process to walk you through creating the rubric.

WOW, I posted one, never realized there were so many resources.

Charles,

I really like Rubistar too. Many times the already provided criteria make me think about things I didn't originally think about assessing. Thanks for the resource you have shared with everyone.

I was unaware of these until I took this course. I will definately look into using Rubistar and Rcampus Rubric Gallery. I will also Google rubric generators to see if there are some that may be specifically useful for the courses I teach. Rubistar is reputed to be mostly for K-12 and I teach adult learners. I will examine them, however, to see what works well for me. Using available tools gives you some proven processes, allow for consistency and may even make the task a bit easier in the long run. I use Word/tables and these can be difficult to construct. I may attempt to try using Excel for the rubrics. I can see how you can more clearly create tables with specific percentages assignment to each assignment component this way.

Joseph ,

I am glad you are now aware of these and you can tweak Rubistar rubrics for higher education. I do it all the time. I do use excel too. Just use what feels good for you and review the rubrics and edit as needed. Keep going! Thanks.

I have used a Google search to look at samples prepared by other instructors. Their rubrics are often included with assignments that can be found online. Our university also includes basic rubrics with many courses and I have expanded these to emphasize what I think is important.

Ken,

There are many rubrics and rubric creators out there. Expanding them to meet your needs is great. Just make sure they are connected to the learning outcomes and the criteria are appropriate. Thanks!

There are several online resources listed in the unit. The most productive in my opinion is Rcampus Rubric Gallery although to be honest I haven’t visited it for a while. It’s possible to find inspiration through these resources and by doing research using the “Google method” but really I think each rubric must be specific to the course it’s designed for and based on the objectives of the particular assignment.

I think the weighting of assessment categories is important as well. If my course is Art Appreciation and the assignment is to research and discuss the influence Matisse may have had on Picasso, how many points are deducted for grammar mistakes? How many for late posts? In other words, if the student achieves the primary objective of the assignment, but we evaluate the “mechanics” disproportionately do we run the risk of misplaced emphasis? Certainly the writing skills should coincide appropriately with the educational level but if I’m spending more time evaluating language hygiene than the level of subject mastery, perhaps I need to look at the apportionment of the points in my rubric.

Wayne ,

Thanks for the additional resources. There are so many out there that we have to find what works for us. We do have to be careful to set the right criteria so that students can expand and not be narrowed through the process.

I agree Rubistar is great! I have used it while teaching middle school science. I really love the program.
Amy Branch

Amy,

Great! I use it too to see what categories/criteria may be included as I develop my own rubrics. It's good to get ideas from other sources.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

I generally use Blackboard to help create my Rubrics. I will also contact other Instructors who have taught a similar class to get their thoughts and to see if there are any Rubrics that can be utilized in my courses as well.

Tom

Thomas ,

Great. It's awesome when you can connect your rubrics within your Learning Management System. Thanks for your input.

The best rubric I have ever seen was in the Woodcock-Johnson Achievement Battery. It was a writing rubric and it covered everything from "voice" to grammar to vocabulary. Wish I still had a copy....
Virginia

There are several online resources we can use:
1. Rubistar – provides templates for different disciplines
2. Google – provides samples already used by educators
3. RCampus Rubric Gallery – provides the framework for you to create your own rubric

Virginia,

It is good to look at other rubrics to see how you can better assess your students. You can always find a rubric and then tweak it to meet your needs.

Sherrilyn,

Excellent resources. Thanks for sharing. We learn so much from others.

I had no idea that rubric generators were available online, though Ishouldn't be surprised. My university provides very general rubrics, but the ultimate point breakdown is left to me. I will definitely check out these online generators, like Rubistar, and see if there are any improvements I can make.

Sign In to comment