Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

William,

There's so much online, but we have to tweak them to meet our needs and the needs of the assignment/project/learning objectives. Thanks!

I use google sample rubrics according to subject matter. I also utilize the resources from publishers. They often have very helpful information for instructors. They have very clear objectives, which make the structuring the rubric a lot simpler.

Letrice,

It's good to utilize online resources for examples and to provide you with a good starting point. But, it's essential to make sure you edit them to meet your needs. Good info. Thanks!

Just lately I went to a couple of rubric generator sites and came up with several rubrics I thought might work in business courses. I actually used a combination of these to build my own. I started out with some course-wide rubrics that were already done but found that I want to be more specific on how I would evaluate student work. This was primarily due to the generic nature of those rubrics which fell a little short in allowing students to understand the objectives and their performance to achieve those. Once I had what I thought were workable rubrics I passed them around to members of the department for comment/criticism. I then test drove them in classes and have tweaked them several times since. Granted, building rubrics is time consuming, but the end result saves time in explaining to the students what is expected of them, and in the actual grading.

George,

Excellent. This is what we need to do. There are typically not rubrics pre-made that perfectly fit our needs. We have to tweak them to make them align with the objectives and meet our needs. Thanks.

I use analytical rubrics for all work a student submits. The focus must be on the understanding of how the student's learning skills were used to complete the work. This approach focuses on the student as a product of the educational process and not a consumer. While the term consumer may be used to define how the student reviews formative feedback, the customer of any educational process should be the employer or customers of the student when they apply what has been learned in the real world. Therefor, the focus of use of rubrics regardless of type for me is targeting the learner for improvement to demonstrate the success of meeting the learning objective.

Dr. Glenn ,

Good point. Analytical rubrics can help students focus and move toward the learning outcomes. Nice job.

I would go to https://www.google.com/search?q=rubrics&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp to find some online resources that may be used to develop rubrics. This site seems to be thorough regarding topics: https://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/rubrics.cfm I would also examine the rubrics that are provided with the textbook as these are sometimes provided online. These might be used as a starting point.

Carolyne,

Thanks for the resources. I find the rubrics I find online need some tweaking to make sure they specifically measure the objectives I need it to assess. But, any online resource is a good start. Thanks again.

I actually only look at online rubrics and see if I like any parts of them as I always build my own as I find it is easier. There are times I like the wording on some online rubrics better than mine and then I adopt some of that wording.

Heather,

Starting with online rubrics and then tweaking them to make them your own is excellent. Thanks for sharing.

I use a rubric generator to create rubrics for assignments, but the assignment text mentions a site called "Rubistar" for k-12 education, and "Rcampus Rubric Gallery" which is a list of rubrics that can be accessed according to grade level, subject and type (CEE, 2014).

I do find that the generator I use is fairly effecive from assignment to assignment and that Excel gives you freedom to customize scale according to criteria.

Vicki Allen

Vicki,

Any time I use a rubric generator, no matter what it is, I tweak the rubric and criteria and scale. But, it's still easier than starting from "scratch." Thanks!

I am fortunate in that I have taught in various schools and colleges that have used rubrics. As a result, I have a plethora of rubrics that can be formatted and shaped to fit exactly what is needed. Rather than searching the Internet for full rubrics, I often look for specific items that I can include in my rubrics.

I often look at college syllabi for rubrics in my subjects, again not necessarily for the full rubric, but to see what percentage of a project a particular professor might use for spelling or grammar or length issues. I am interested in constantly updating my rubrics so as to be as fair as I can to students.

Scott,

The key is that you understand the rubrics have to be shaped to fit exactly what is needed. Rubrics are not a one size fits all too, but they must be crafted carefully. Thanks!

I google online rubrics for various courses then create my own using a combination of the rubrics I see. I create my own specific to the needs of my students and the competencies I need to cover for accreditation purposes. I like to look at online rubrics to get an idea of how they are set up and just for basic structure purposes.

Jacqueline,

It's good to look at other rubrics as we can get ideas for criteria and many other items involved in the rubric. Thanks!

Oddly enough Pinterest. I know it sounds like a stretch but you get a barrage of images of rubrics at all different stages. There is a great sense of how it is you develop a rubric and what type of criteria you can go into. And since all of the images are linked with websites, you can go directly to the website that produced the image.

Erin,

Pinterest has everything! :-] It's a great resource to connect us to other locations on the Web. Thanks for bringing that resource to light.
Nice job.

I'll usually google 'best resume template' resume template 'xxx course' and will look up webinars/resources that might touch different topics/trends to learners today.

I look up how to motivate my students to review the rubric before they do the assignment and the importance of getting students to review my feedback - if students don't review the feedback than they won't learn and grow - which could make assignments in the future harder to do and be successful at.

Sign In to comment