Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The facilitator should consider these three main objectives when assessing the use of technology assessments tools for the classroom. The technology tool should be examined to ascertain if it is compatible with the type of assessment being performed and how students will interact with it. The assessment tool should match course learning objectives and outcomes according to the content of the course. The assessment tool should not complicate the assessment process. Assessment tools should properly evaluate and provide constructive information to the student and facilitator as to the student’s progress in understanding the material presented, and the effectiveness and possible improvement of the assessment process itself.

Russell,

Great post. You are right in all areas. All of these points must be considered when assessing technology for assessment. We tend to forget the third one until we find we can't get the data out of the tool.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

When accessing a tool for online usage I look for the following:
1.)Ease of use for the students
2.)Ease of navigation for the student
3.)Ease of grading, speediness, accuracy for me

Hi Kelly!

I think the three most important things to consider include:

1. Does the assessment tool align with the assessment?

2. Is it user friendly?

3. Is it easy to access and align with the technology used for the online campus?

It is important not to use technology for the sake of technology. The tools need to be reviewed relative to their purpose and alignment with the assessment objectives, the students and campus technology.

Gail, I agree with your point about student's understanding the technology. Although most of our students are comfortable with the online platform, there are some students who do not understand computers and/or the basics of using software such as MS Word.

Some students do very well with their weekly papers and others do very well with our multiple choice adaptive learning assessments. Based on how the assignment grades are weighted it is difficult if they are unable to successfully complete one component of the course and not the other.

Tonia,

I agree with you totally. I also think you are right about the ease for the instructor. I have seen software that was easy for the student to use, easy for the instructor to create the instrument, but hard to grade and get the output needed to decision making. It was so frustrating.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sandy ,

You are right! The assessment tool must match the assessment; not vice versa. Many times we take technology and force the issue of use and it just becomes a barrier to assessment and then to learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sandy ,

Interesting point. Although we provide a variety of ways (hopefully) of assessments students are required to complete them ALL.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

1) Does this show me what the student is learning?
- Sometimes tests and quizzes can show what a student has memorized, but a good assessment tool should help the student understand and retain the information
2) Ease of use
- Is the tool easy to use? If not, what instructions can I provide to help students and if there a technical support number available for the tool (if students have questions or run into problems)
3) Will this allow for improvement overtime?
- Is there room to grow if I use this tool? If I use tests/quizzes, can improving the questions each course help the students learn? Will this tool help the student in this class but in other courses (and in their everyday life; like helping them study or retain other information)

Lastly, as I read other posts, I think it will be helpful to see other things to consider when assessing an assessment tool.

One of the first and more advanced features of online assessment tools I would look for is adaptive testing. Many technology certification tests use this technique to test a candidate with questions that get progressively harder or easier in response to the previous questions. So a candidate can pass a test with 10 progressively difficult questions if they are all answered correctly. The second feature would be an extensive question bank that gets updated frequently to reduce the use of brain-dumps to pass a test. The third feature would be simulations portions of the test that allow the candidate to interact with the technology they are being tested on.

The most important thing to consider when assessing the use of technology assessment tools in an online learning environment is first asking the right questions. Is this assessment tool beneficial to the learning process for students and faculity? Ofen times new technology assessment tools could enhance training if implemented at the proper time and input is received from the stake holders of the organization. Reading and understanding the expectation is equally important. Certainly if it is not explained and/or misunderstood, it could cause a major issue. It is just as important to take your time to write carfully. Try to take your time and fully explain your complete thoughts. If this is done properly and completely, your message will be delivered as your intended.
Thanks, Wenda Killings.

Wenda,

You make a great point about "room to grow". Many times we buy technology that it does one thing well but doesn't do anything else. It can be so frustrating.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

Great point! adaptive testing is really hard to find in many technology tools. Even the LMS's don't do that well. We have to be able to do that and it can cause frustration on the student's part and increased workload for instructors.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Wenda,

Great point. I actually make practice tests available to students so they can become used to taking exams online. It is different.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

1] Is the technology driving my curriculum or is my curriculum driving the choice of technology?

2] Is my assessment truly measuring what I think it is?

3] Is the technology that I choose to employ to assess my students fair, accessible, and "transparent". By the last, I mean am I grading content instead of a student's comfort level with the technology?

Martin,
Great post. Your third point is very important. You want to make sure that the technology is transparent and they only anxiety students exhibit is about the test, not about the technology.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In the environment in which I teach, the assessment tools that I can use are prescribed for me. However, faculty can influence this through the course assessments, and ultimately course development. I would have to say that usability and functionality are two of the top conditions to consider. My students come from a variety of backgrounds; some have very limited computing skills, while others are very advanced. Therefor, any tool we use must be exceedingly simple and clear, and not require advanced skills. The function of any tool must be clear and the "results" provided to students must also be very clear. I would also have to say that the functionality for the instructor should be considered. These tools only work as well as their administrators (the faculty). For this reason, they need to be easy to use, and not take extra time to implement.

The first thing I believe to be important is that the instructor is capable of using the tool. The instructor must be efficient and effective in using the chosen tool. One of my favorite tools is "Track Changes". I find this tool to be very helpful when grading essays and research papers. I also believe that it helps if students have some knowledge of the assessment tools used. My reasoning behind this is that students can sometimes give feedback as to how the tools can be better utilized. Thirdly, a important thing to consider is to use a tool such as WebQuests, which would allow interaction between students.

Leigh,

That is great. It is nice that you are able to give feedback regarding the effectiveness of assessments. You are right, the tool should be easy to use for both student and instructor.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jacqueline,

Great post. You make a great point, about efficient and effective. That is important for the students and the instructor.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment