Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ben,

True, but do you hold nontraditional students accountable to using the technology or do you work with them with the technology they use? You have to be careful regarding letting them "pass" on the technology.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree that many of my older students are intimidated of the technology. We just changed the format of our virtual classroom and this has been a struggle for many of my students, not just the older ones. Sometimes I think this is more about change than the new technology. I often respond with asking if they have contacted technical support first before answering a technology question. This puts the responsibility back on them to learn the technology. I also normalize their struggle and offer confidence that they will get through it.

Samantha,

Great post. You are doing the right thing. I have found that students can solve their own problems but ask for you to do it first because it has worked for them in the past. If an instructor considers yourself a guide. . . . then guide!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hello Professor

I have several "non-traditional" students in my classes. I have found that the ones who are older try to contact me as well over the phone or email. I allowed one phone call to help the student understand the process of our new learning management system. Then, like you, I expected him to navigate through the system and contact me with specific questions. After a few weeks, he was loving the new technology.

Samantha Carlo

Hello Esther

I must say that I have found the opposite. The more seasoned students are fearful of the technology. It takes a little coddling to show them that the system will not bite!

Samantha Carlo

Samantha,

You are right, once they use it they to enjoy using it. I really like the one call policy. That makes so much sense.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Samantha,

Really? I do find that we assume our traditional students are much less computer savvy that we give them credit. They can only do a few things well and typically that doesn't help them in class.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

NO.
USUALLY MY OLDER STUDENTS ARE VERY UNCOMFORTABLE WITH TECHNOLOGY. I TEACH MATHEMATICS AND SOME TIMES LEARNING HOW TO USE A SCIENTIFIC CALCULATOR BECOMES A NIGHTMARE.
MY YOUNGER STUDENTS ARE MORE COMFORTABLE WITH IT, THEY ARE WILLING TO TRY NEW THINGS, THEY WANT TO "PLAY" AT THE COMPUTER MORE FREQUENTLY AND FOR A LONGER PERIOD OF TIME THAN MY OLDER STUDENTS.

DEAR SAMANTHA:
I HAVE HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE.
MY OLDER STUDENTS WANT TO COMMUNICATE MORE EMAIL AND PHONE.
I ALLOW ALL THE TELEPHONE CALLS THEY WANT TO MAKE. USUALLY I GET A LOT OF THEM IN THE BEGINNING OF THE COURSE. NOT SO MANY TOWARDS THE END.

Dehlly,

They may not have the fear, but they don't have the skills. I remind my nontraditional students this regularly. They are so surprised. Good post.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dehlly,

Interesting call pattern. I had to ban use of phones except for isolated contact because my nontraditional students want to use just that and not be responsible for what goes on in the LMS.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Yes. I find that people in older than the 18-27 range, typically seem more focused when it comes to technology, i.e., learning navigation and/or different software programs. I believe the reason for this is because the younger generation has grown up with technology at their fingertips their whole lives so it becomes somewhat trite, if you will, to them.

Gary,

I agree with you. The author Tapscott wrote that older students accommodate technology which means that group make is work like something previously they used, like keyboarding is typing. Younger students assimilate technology which means they take technology and use it as its function.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I would not us the term frightening, when it comes to the older student. Instead I would use the term frustrating. Older students tend to want to learn the technology, but become frustrated with the nuances involved in learning how to use the technology.

The younger Millennium students I teach seem to be more frightened of getting out of their comfort zone, when exposed to a different way of using today's technology. In other words, many Millenniums what to do it their way.

james,

Great points! You are right, there are issues with both groups regarding technology and learning. You have to set the expectations and hold both groups to it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment