Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Socorro,

I agree! I also create tutorials that allow them to watch over and over. I appreciate the fact that non traditionals are willing to learn.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

yes I have seen this and actually have some experience in teaching my 91 year old mother. I bought her an iPad for mother's day last year thinking that perhaps she would never use for more than reading books. However she has really taken to it and now uses Skype on it to see her new great grandson. I always get a kick out of seeing "sent using my iPad" at the end of her emails.

Mark,

That is GREAT! Yes, when students understand they are on the path for learning, they may extend that path. That is what we want!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

This is an interesting question. I can't say my results show that age either helps or is of detriment to being open to new technologies. Some younger people are not comfortable with new technology. I would suggest that it has more to do with an individual's personality than their age.

Hala,

I totally agree with you. Some people are no matter what age is just naturally drawn to technology.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree that this might be a somewhat new aberration or possible phenomenon: it may be assumed that the 'older' generation is less likely to be skilled in technology, but most recent research shows that the smart phone industry has the 45+ age group targeted as their next highly expandable market because this age group is both 'hungry' for learning technology and more 'patient' in learning how to best use technology. Research also shows those aged 15-44 continue to desire more technology but are much less willing to be patient in how to utilize technology and therefore will 'give up' on technology if it doesn't instantly appear as workable and 'satisfy immediate needs'.

Don,

You make a great point. The younger generation does not have the patience at times to learn. This is a skill that can be transferred in the online environment. It is also why much of their technology skills are very shallow.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have the same in my class, a lot of the kids are right out of high school but I have a few adults that are above 40 as well. I find it difficult to to keep the young ones on track whilst I help the older ones. So I usually set them a new/harder task to complete whilst I help the others.

It can be a lot more work, but they appreciate when I am patient with them.

Cally,

True, It is hard when some students have taken online courses and others have not. Patience and a contingency plan goes a long way. Looks like you do that!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree with this completely. In my experience, I have had a large number of older adult students that have had to put in a lot more effort to learn the technology. However, they have been successful in doing so because they are excited about learning both the technology and the information. Other younger students, I have had almost expect to understand the technology without effort, and in turn run into more problems. This is not always the case, but has been something I have been running into.

Lauren,

That is so true. I think at times I can be too confident about the technology. . . . just like some of my students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Unfortunately, it will always boil down to the INDIVIDUAL, not necessarily the age of the person. If someone is vested in learning, they will go to almost any length to what it takes to learn, even if it is new technology.

The first point of this question is that, people over 65 have a more acute sense of limited time, so they are more eager to make better use of the time, than someone in their 30's who doesn't realize they DON'T have all the time in the world, but acts like they do)...food for thought.

Rene,

You make such a GREAT point. We can't lump all nontraditional in the nontechy category. We can't profile students. . . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In my experience the older the person the more difficult time they have with the technology. But with help and guidance the student will usually catch on and be fine. It just takes time and patience.

Emory,

I agree with you! To say that they can't learn defeats our work as an educator! We are too negative about the technology regarding the technology skills of the nontraditional students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The average age at the institution I instruct at is somewhere between 23 - 30(not scientifically deduced). Every so often we are graced with a student with much more life experience than most. It is astonishing to see the aggressive learning of these students. They have committed to the program coming in early and often times staying after to gather as much knowledge of the technology they are being exposed to.

Tim,
Great point! It is amazing how the can enrich a course with their knowledge; if the instructor can use it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Esther,
That is interesting. I have not seen this, but I think it would make sense. Perhaps younger people have more experience with technology, so it comes easier to them, thus they don't think about it. Older people on the other hand may not have as much experience, so for them it could be a rel learning experience?

Students in their 30s are probably more familiar with technology than someone who is older. Students in their 20s and 30s were raised on technology.

Dale,

True, it is the difference between assimilation and accommodation. It is also the comfort zone. I have heard time again about breaking technology. when have you broke technology? Just some thoughts. . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment