Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have found the senior students to be rewarding interesting, and I learn as much from these students as they do with the material they are reaching and mastering. The younger students have so many variables which interfer with their every day lives. They (the thirtys) have the responsibilites of families, husbands, jobs, and they have far too many distractions which makes the the overall process "hurried" and poorer quaility submitted.

I do participate with the live office lab hours and I encourage attendance, but find the 45 and older folks attending. They make a committment, and they are intereseted enough to make the attempt. If they can not do something they are steadily searching to make the effort.

Yes,
I have found they want to learn technology to help them learn and interact with others and learn with others younger then themselves.

I tend to agree with you. Older students go through the process of understanding how something functions. I believe that it has to do the "I have taken tones of computer classes and they all work the same". The problem with this that they submit errors in the learning process that could be avoided by simply taking to the time to follow the specific insturctions instead of doing what you know.

This can be a tricky situation because stereotyping people based on age can be very tempting. I myself am an older person and know much more about computers and m much more comfortable with them now than ten years ago.

In fact, some people may indulge in self-stereotyping, thinking, for example, "People won;t expect too much technological expertise our of me because I am older."

In a way, this is equivalent to expecting me to be most familiar with written poetry because I have lived closer in time to written poetry than to other modes; however, the reality is that I have spent several years working with spoken-word performances in poetry slams and such and am very familiar with those kinds of contemporary modes.

I would say that generally younger students are more willing to try out new technology; it is something they know. However, older students have the advantage of years of perspective and a knowledge of how they actually can learn new things. Yes, for some older students, the online experience is frightening; they don't adjust well.

I would say that that older students could be very intimated by the technology because not only is the subject content of the course new to them, but now they are having to navigate through the technology..

I have had them say that to me.
Therefore, at times, we need to guide them along so that they are able to build confidence and go forward with ideas.

The students seem to be making an interesting and artificial distinction between a spelling error and a typo.

In my world, the error would be not having edited carefully to find and to correct such misspellings/typos as well as not using Grammar Check and Spell Check as tools to help with that editing process.

I myself frequently type "compluter" instead of "computer." As I look at it now, the incorrect spelling is neatly underlined in Spell Check Red and I guarantee that I know there is no "l" in "computer," but the misspelling still makes my work look unprofessional and silly, regardless of origin of the error.

A quick look over my response identifies the error and makes the question of origin moot! Thanks!

I like the distinction you make between, "chronological age" and "technological age."

Many older folk, such as I, were educated in systems that valued correctness in spelling, grammar and such.

Even today I cannot make my fingers type "yu" instead of "you" in a text message, much less in a Discussion Board entry.

Apparently I am stuck in the "chronological fallacy" (which should exist as a fallacy if it doesn't already) and not changing along with changes in the language over time! Thank you!

June,

Well, I don't think you are in the wrong about that! I think we still have to have "rules" for communication. Even those students that you "2" as a word will complain if someone types (keys) in all caps.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

June,

You and I are on the same page! I call the way students write as "puking on paper" and just like puke if you don't clean it up it stinks! I have given extra points in my online course for pointing out my errors particularly in the discussion boards.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Merle,

I agree we have to provide them with guidance. We do have to make sure that they don't use this as a crutch. For example, I had a nontraditional student who did not want to interact with me or the class within the LMS; he wanted me to call him or vice versa on the phone. I did not allow him to do that as this did not teach him to use the technology and he was not part of class. (he did survive the course and did quite well).

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Michael,

Agreed, we just have to provide them with guidance. I say again, let's not allow this to be a crutch; it is a learning opportunity for life long learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

June,

You make such a great point! I too am "more mature" and I am a technology early adopter! We must watch the stereotyping.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Cyndy,

I love your post! You have a real handle on the different issues that peg different students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sherry,

You are correct they do want to learn for the most part. It is the few that cause the problems. (isn't that the way it always happens)

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Berrie,

I think you are right, you have to make sure you have the specific instructions and tutorials that will help all students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Many of the older students are intimidated by technology. I have some students that admit they rely on their children to help them. On the other side, the older students are more committed to getting the work done correctly. They are not afraid to admit they need help. If I see someone struggling, I would provide more guidance for assessing the tools at the University. It is a matter of practicing and some need more motivation than others.

Yes, I have the same experience. I can say be patient and guide them through as needed.

Ms. Dimayuga

Esther, I have found the same to be true. I am not sure if they are more interested in learning the technology or learning period. Many of the older students are back in school because they always wanted to go to school and were not able to for some reason. Going back to school for them is extremely important and many of them have more time to go compared to a 30 year old with life issues of small children, work, and school.

Avis,

True, many of them ask for help. Some want to learn, I have had others ask for me to augment the course for them by using the phone. I do not do this. It can be a way around learning what the other students have to learn.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment