Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I believe it's important that students are provided with swift and personalized feedback. Generalized feedback may not necessarily give them the guidance they need to improve in the manner that would maximize their success.

Engagement is important. Students should be engaged, and they should also see that their instructors are active. When this occurs, they are more likely to fully participate, which increases their capacity to learn.

I think that interaction should be encouraged. Students should provide their own responses, but they should also provide comments to their classmates and their instructors. The more communication that occurs, the more ideas are presented, which promotes further growth.

The most important tasks are both active listening and action learning. These go hand in hand.

I recommend for both students and students alike to realize the equal importance of listening and learning in the online environment.

- Dr. Eileen Wibbeke

I think being ready through the show of motivation is the most important learning principle. Students must be prepare, committed and ready for engagement in online learning. Students as well as teachers/facilitators must be mentally, physically, and emotionally ready to engage in this type of environment in order to be successful.

I agree with many others in this forum. Engagement is key offering students with opportunities to interact with the content, other students, and the instructor.
In my classes, I try to add content (such as a You Tube video or an interesting quote) to get students interested in the assignment and begin talking together.

Deborah,

Great idea! You have to set the example and the tone. Smart.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Carla,

Great point! You do have to be all of that! (I think I hear the theme from Rocky:)

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Eileen,

Love your answer! They are both distinctly different but work together.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Stacy,

I like your comment that students should see active instructors. I think that may not always happen.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Julie,

Good points! I think you are on the right track on the role of the online educator. Everyone must be active in the environment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

kristen,

OK, I am going to use your last line. You really have a great view of the 7 principles and how they interact.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Carla,

I love the learner leaning forward! Great comments.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Conni,
Great technique! I like the chunking idea!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Steven,

Great point. I too am convinced that early engagement is the key!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Of course I see all of the principles as important. Choosing one is difficult since most interconnect and “begat” one another. An active interaction between the student and instructor is a good foundation on which to build the others. Things as simple as beginning each communication with the student’s name: “Hi Susan,” can go a long way toward making a student feel more like a person than a number and therefore more comfortable communicating. I also like using “Hi” or “Hello” in greetings as it seems more personal than “Dear” or just the name.

One key principle would be facilitating learning through an emphasis of the reading materials- in an online environment, learners sometimes feel they will not be held responsible for the readings and in many cases don't do the reading, which really prohibits authentic learning.

In addition, an emphasis on community is important - learning from one another through reading and discussing the ideas and insights of others.

Darcy Schultz

Without question, the biggest complaint of students is having a lack of ongoing, timely feedback –and thus a crucial Principle of Learning is the ongoing presence and quick feedback (assignments, emails, etc.) by instructors.

Along with this must be an enthusiasm and excitement for teaching and for the subject that is infectious; this is key to maintaining and fostering student engagement.

And by the instructor being active in discussion, in posting announcements ongoing, and by emailing students on a regular basis all students become, in essence, student aides, for their interaction takes the course wider and deeper, thus making for a richer learning experience for ALL (this includes the instructor!).

Your thoughts?

I believe it is important to actively engage students in the learning as well as providing detailed feedback which emphasizes strengths and weaknesses. As for weaknesses, I feel that instructors should give tips and helpful way to improve in those areas. What good is feedback if you are only stating what was done incorrectly without sharing how to improve?

Hi,

I agree that communication is really the heart of a successful class. Without face to face interaction, body language and tone, it's super critical to maintain consistent and respectful communication. Whether the communication is on a discussion board or within a personal email,I always make sure to that students understand it must be professional, authentic, and respectful. Students have a real opportunity to learn how to interact online, beyond the material that is covered in the course.

Emily

The principles I believe are most important are communication with students and providing feedback to them in all areas whether good or bad. Constructive feedback and informative information will help enhance their learning capability.

I think the most important principle is good communication. With good communication with the students we are able to give them feedback which is important to their learning process. Sometimes if they have to wait too long the student will get frustrated and it will hurt the learning process.

Sign In to comment