Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hello,
Thank you for this question. As an online instructor it is important to have a plan and share with students the elements needed in reaching their goals. The most important aspect of a positive online experience is ensuring that you have the time to complete all the expectations of the course. As a focused learner, it is imperative to set time in completing all the aspects of the online course.

I believe that all seven principles of learning are important. If I had to select three that I feel are most important though, they are:

1. Encourage contact between students and instructor. This is crucial in an online course because there is little or no face-to-face interaction.

2. Encourage active learning. It is essential in an online environment that students remain motivated and work toward the goal with some level of independence.

3. Emphasize time on task. Too many times students believe that it is "easy" to take an online course, and they fail to realize the amount of time and energy that must go in to truly succeeding in an online environment. It is essential to emphasize the time they should be spending on each task (general guidelines) for them to be able to stay on track.

I think the most important principal when teaching online is to give expectations at the beginning of class. It is important to give deadlines and explain if extensions are given. These expectations set the student up for the class.

Denise

In this unit, I found the idea of encouraging students with time management tips to be helpful, such as estimating the time needed to accomplish a certain task. Encouraging students to set goals and become more proactive in reaching their goals will only lead to improved student outcomes in online learning. I plan to create a hand-out with time management and student success tips to distribute in Week 1 of my online classes.

What Principles of Learning do you believe are most important for your online teaching?

Chickering and Ehrmann’s principles of learning are a nice summary for faculty & students.
What I focus on in my classes include: Encouraging and coaching for active learning, jumping in and engaging with others, developing reciprocity and cooperation among students working as a team in large group and small group activities, I focus on positive expectations though coaching and use of tips, quotes, and inspirational messages that connect to the subject matter and help the student reflect and grow as an individual and apply what is being learned to their lives. I expect collaboration and cooperation for engagement and offer support and guidance for success to reach their individual goals not my goals for their success.
Joanna Oestmann

Social learning theory is what I believe to be the most important. The more the students engage with others and use higher level thinking skills (Blooms taxonomy) the more they grow and learn. I encourage interactions with each other (not back and forth to me) and support students to learn what they need to know to apply health care concepts for the work force to be successful in the workforce. Eric Oestmann

Dr. Lewis,

There are 7 principles of good practice. More or less, each one of them is important. However, for my math courses, I think the following are crucial:
1. Encouraging contact between student and instructors: math is a subject which is not easy to learn by oneself. Thus, communication is a must. Also, students might be thinking that they are dumb for asking such a question when in reality they are not. Thus, students have to be encouraged to ask questions, how much silly they might think their questions are.

2. Communicate expectations: math is a very objective subject - you either have it correct or wrong. Points cannot be provided for wrong answers; many students expect that points should be provided just because they have put some effort or work.

3. Emphasize time on task: each subsequent chapter, in math, is depended on knowledge/content of previous chapter. So, if one starts falling behind, it becomes impossible to catch up unless someone always has been brilliant in math.

Thank You,
Srabasti Dutta

I'm going to have to agree with what's been outlined above. Time management has got to be the single principle that is necessary to get a handle on, for both the instructor and the students.

I work with adult learners, who often have multiple obligations on their time: jobs, families, and so on. Working out ways that they can balance these other concerns and come up with time management strategies are usually things that come up in one-on-one conversations. But I'm seeing some great ideas on this forum that I'd like to start implementing in my classroom, like the time estimates for how long assignments should take.

The seven principles established by Chickering and Ehrmann (1996), are certainly important. I would respectfully add: Let the students know what are the take away of their learning is, and how can they apply what they learn to real life.

Joan,
I agree of course with the principles.
Cooperation, collaboration and teamwork are of course critical.
I would like to add an addtional element:
At the MBA level, I like to remind them occasionally the purpose of their taking this degree:
If they are alread managers, the purpose is to raise in rank
If they want to become managers, this degree will help reach their, so the better they leran, the easier their job will be, when they will be "on their own" .

I believe they are all important but encouraging active learning could be the most significant. It is critical learners are engaged in the learning environment because of its asynchronous nature and proclivity for self-direction. If they are not engaged they may likely be inclined to disappear from the process.

I would suggest looking at these areas:

• Be active
• Understand the expectations
• Work cooperatively

The seven principles of learning each pertain to valuable lessons for online learning. What stands out to me above all is point number 2: to develop reciprocity and cooperation among students.

I highlight this point as so valuable for online learning because so much of our work takes place in the context of asynchronous discussion forums, and sometimes conferencing and chat sessions. In these forums, the development of considered and careful appreciation of the contributions of peers and engaged, substantive responses to discussion are what make for a dynamic class experience. This has the ability to foster continued motivation and engagement amongst students, but it takes that first commitment and willingness on the part of the students.

As an instructor, I value means of fostering and motivating that engagement and reciprocity in the discussion boards. When it is lacking, the overall quality of the course suffers and the learning environment is diminished.

While I try as an instructor to provide engagement in my own responses to students, it is perhaps even more powerful when students contribute engagingly in discussions with one another. It can make for an environment in which everyone benefits and learns so much more.

Dr. Crews, frequent communication between the online instructor in the student is essential in order to make sure the student doesn't feel isolated. Many times, when students become isolated, they stop working, because they don't feel supported, and they quickly begin to feel overwhelmed.

Another thing I do in my online courses is to provide a post every day, so that the course looks and feels like a traditional face-to-face course… and this helps the students to feel engaged.

Another principle I use in my online courses is to relate the course concepts to real-life applications, so that the students can see where the course is going.

I also use constructivist teaching principles, by acknowledging the fact that my students bring some previous knowledge of the course content to the discussion.

Mike Crowley

Greetings Dr. Crews and Colleagues:

What Principles of Learning do you believe are most important for your online teaching?

In selecting the most essential principles of learning applicable to the distance learning environment, the following cannot be overlooked:

*Develop reciprocity and cooperation among students – Through effective assignment and course design such as group assignments, interaction is necessary for effective assignment completion. Requirements such as participation in group discussion boards and chats will not only reinforce this requirement but further student learning. An added benefit is to encourage student introduction and interaction well in advance of the project due date.

*Encourage active learning – This is particularly effective if one is able to invoke a synchronous learning mode or tool, and allow students to relate personal experiences as well as address answers which will facilitate their learning. Case analyses are also great asynchronous assignments to which students might apply and achieve synthesis of new concepts.

*Respect diverse talents and ways of learning – This complements the development of reciprocity and cooperation among students who may be participants in a group assignment, as an example. Through identification of talents unique to students especially in a group context, students may experience synergy and complete an assignment efficiently and effectively, as a cross-functional team may experience the same synergy in addressing an issue within an organization. This is particularly effective in simulating the potential future working environment for MBA students.

Best,

Susan

Melissa:

I agree I believe they are all important. I also like the way that the course talks about how to apply them to students as well as the instructor. I believe this is going to help me as I help students manage their times.

And if I had to pick one it would be "Communicate high expectations." I am not sure I always do that in a way that students understand. I am going to work on this one so that students know exactly what is expected and to strive for more.

Rachelle

Stacy:

I agree that it is important that students are engaged and that instructors are active. My experience tells me that the more I am engaged in the class the more the students are. I have noticed that on days that I am not as active on the discussion board and in the classroom in general either are the students. The more I show up the more they show up.

I thought the concepts of time management was great for students however for instructors it is important as well. I am balancing a lot such as teaching, running my own business, managing my family, writing articles and researching and oh yea trying to stay healthy and balanced.

Rachelle

Greetings:

I believe they are all important as has been stated. However one I really believe it crucial is the prompt feedback. Students really need this to be able to learn and grow. Without the feedback students are in a vacuum. I try to give feedback throughout the course, not just on assignments but on attending lectures or their comments on the discussion board. It is important for them to understand they are noticed and what they do matters.

Rachelle

Dr Crews/Faculty, for me encouragement is the biggest one. When I was an online student I ran into those silent professor types. They are the ones that expect you to encourage yourself. Leaving students out on a island alone is the wrong approach. We must continuously engage students with words of encouragement. This is how we show them that we really care about their success in the course.

Regards, Reginald

Eric,

You make such a great point. There should be interaction among the students not just student to instructor. That is what separates online from correspondence

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment