Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Developing Technical Skills

In your online course, how do you decide whether to use asynchronous or synchronous communication tools?

Both tools are valuable, even for the same subject area. For example, in mathematics courses, an asynchronous delivery format is valuable in allowing a student (at his or her own pace) to review (and review again) lectures. Then, as the student progresses to the next stage of working through problem sets, the asynchronous forum serves as a reference resource while the synchronous forum (perhaps a Skype session or e-whiteboard session) allows for real-time interaction with other students or the instructor. The two delivery systems are complementary, so the question is not "which" delivery mechanism, but "when" to utilize each during the course.

Gregory,

You are so right. The self-paced asynchronous sessions allow students to move as quickly or slowly as they need to as long as they are meeting the deadlines. The synchronous meetings allow time to answer questions and explain anything that may need to be explained. The synchronous meetings also help build community among the students and with the instructor. I like the two system approach as well. Thanks for your input.

I believe since there are many different learning styles using both synchronous and asynchronous are valuable tools for reaching and connecting with students. Asynchronous is useful because it can be accessed anywhere anytime, but what you lose is being able to build a relationship with the student so asynchronous is useful building connections with students.

Our student population demands a program that can be completed asynchronously. It is possible to successfully complete the program entirely asynchronously. However, we do offer a powerful synchronous instruction tool for the students who are willing and able to partake in it; Instructors are required to perform two, one-hour-long live video chats per week. Students are able to see and hear the instructor live and ask questions in the chat box. The instructors expand on the topic of the week as well as give instruction on how complete the weekly deliverables. These video chats are also recorded for students to participate asynchronously.

David,

The live chats do help engage students and help many students begin to develop a relationship (positive and professional) with their peers and instructor. It's great that you record the synchronous sessions for later viewing. Many times students need that for remediation. Nice job. Thanks for your remarks.

Marilu,

No matter whether you teach in a synchronous, asynchronous or a combination environment, keeping the students engaged in the learning is essential. We want students to be able to learn anywhere, anytime, but be learning and not just going through the motions. Thanks for your remarks.

Asynchronous communication work well for people trying to continue their education but are unable to commit to a set time frame. Work hours will not allow set days and hours be available, family cmmitments, attending children's activities, community service and church or social groups.

Students can spend a few hours a week, maybe late night to complete the course. he use of e-mail can keep students and instructors in contact. Students doing classwork at 9:00PM on the west coast do not expect answers by 12:30 AM eastern time. A day or two to be answered is adequate.
Students that are required to be on th road can use hotel facilities and their laptops to keep even with their classwork.

I have taken distant learning classes (before e-mail) which involvecd filling out papers and sending to the facilitator. Then waiting for the re sults to be sent.The on line classwork of CEE
reduces the time from sending and recieving results, and waiting for results may cause other activities to move ahead of classwork in importance.

Jim,

I think we've moved beyond trying to improve our time management skills to improving our priortity management skills. I discuss this with my students. If the work 40 hours per week, have a family to take care of and take a full load of courses, they thinkg thay can do it all. However, what typically suffers are their grades. And, students many times think if a course is online, it's easier. I make sure they don't believe these myths.

Online learning has made it easier for adults to return to school. Having the flexibility of studying at your own pace from anywhere there is a computer and internet availability is a privilege and opportunity that online learning has made available. However, even with this flexibility, before offering the online mode of delivery, an instructor must decide if the community of learners are available for a synchronous or asynchronous online delivery and if either method is essential to communication in any given course.

While asynchronous communication tools allows for communication but not necessarily realtime , synchronous communication tools help to build rapport and relationship with students. An instructor must decide which will best suit the course being taught and how these communication tools will benefit students.

It is important to use a variety of communication tools to help students learn and the instructor must review and decide which is the best option.

In our online school we have asynchronous intake, so there's actually almost no option for using synchronous communication. If we're lucky we may have half a dozen students at the same spot in a program but they're intermingled with dozens of others at different spots.

Therefore, our communication is via email, phone, one-to-one web conferencing, and message boards.

Edna,

You are right. Online learning has opened a new world to non-traditional students. Proceeding on their own time and in their own space is essential as they have families, jobs, etc. to take into consideration. And, you also hit on an important aspect of combining asynchronous and synchronous learning to accomplish different goals. Thanks for your input.

Gayle,

The one-to-one Web conference is synchronous then? You're online at the same time?

Yes, but nothing is scheduled - we can get the student on the phone and then set up the webinar software so we can see their machine, they can see ours, or we can take control of theirs. It's great for when explanations of problems just aren't enough - sometimes, you really need to *see* what's going on.

Gayle,

I agree. At the beginning of the semester I put in the syllabus 4 synchronous meting at various days and times. Students were required to come to two. They were recorded for those not in attendance. The topics were content related or we discussed an assignment coming up or we could just discuss issues students were having. I would schedule more with individual or groups of students, but typically these 4 were enough. It also encouraged hem to stay on task because they knew we would be discussing a certain thing they. Weed to be working on, but the could email me to put things on te agenda as well. Sometimes we do need to we what they see no vice versa. Thanks again.

With the online college that I currently work for, we mostly use asynchronous communication with the course, but have twice weekly online chats which are synchronous. The chats are archived so if students cannot attend live, they can still view the archive. I think that this is very beneficial to our students. Many of them really enjoy that actual live interaction with me during the chats. I'm glad that they can also view it at any other time, though, if they can't attend live. Students rarely IM me, but seem to prefer emailing which would be asynchronous.

Sarah,

Thanks for your input. It is important that you are including asynchronous and synchronous delivery. Thanks for your input.

My online course at one school is pretty well set up by the administration. My chats are synchronous, but students can access archives later. I can chat with them synchronously during my office times. The rest of the work (submitting papers, doing discussion boards, emailing me)is asynchronous. For my other two schools, all work is synchronus, but I could have students attend chats via another site.

Sounds like we teach at the same college, Sarah! I do the same with chats, etc., for CTUOnline. It is so rewarding when students refer to archives in their citations but even more so when they are in the chat room with me. I wish chats were mandatory--at least a certain amount. They are for some schools, and I think it would be so helpful for students and rewarding for us.
I myself prefer email to IM, and I answer emails up to five times per day.

June and Sarah,

No doubt we many times all have the same problems. It's good to know that we are not alone. Thanks for your input.

Sign In to comment