Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Will Online Learning Replace the Traditional Classroom?

Online learning will eventually replace traditional classroom delivery of instruction? Do you agree or disagree? Explain your answer.

This is certainly a controversial question, and I'm not sure it hits the point exactly. Instead of asking if online learning will sweepingly replace onground, why not determine what the strengths and weaknesses of online learning are compared to onground. Then, the discussion becomes a fruitful one in which the role of online learning is determined. Only then can our education system be restructured to incorporate online learning efficaciously.

I teach composition onground, and I'm teaching my first comp class online next quarter. I'm very interested in exploring the role of this new medium.

Jason,

Most of the research will show that the actual learning that takes place does not differ from onground and online courses. With all of the new tools available you can create almost any type of learning environment online and make it as effective as anything onground. Instructional design is the critical component, matching the appropriate technology to build the most effective learning environments.

Herbert Brown III

I personally disagree that online learning will replace the traditional classroom style of learning but it will compliment it. As a society there are many diverse learning styles and certainly some are great candidates for the online education track while others will not be. Of course we have the whole aspect of sports programs as well and I am sure college football programs are not going to be threatened by online education.

I do believe with busy lives and the increase of technology at our fingertips, we will see traditional classrooms being replaced by online learning. However the one item that must be addressed in this transition, it the ease of dishonesty and cheating in the online environment.

Moving to test taking that occurs in a traditional environment, would bring more validity and trust to the online system. As a math instructor I see too many students who are unable to discuss concepts in the classroom, only to earn perfect scores on quizzes that they were unable to work through within our classroom chats. I believe this is the one reason many companies still are not comfortable with hiring, and trusting, the online student.

Karen "kam" Maiorano

Michael,

There are clearly students that do NOT want online. They want the onground experience. As colleges offer more classes online, I think it is important to not force these students in to online courses. However, being exposed to a hybrid course would be healthy for them as they will be exposed to online training at some point in their lives. What do you see as some characteristics of an effective onilne student?

Herbert Brown III

I agree as more and more schools are moving to utilizing a portion or an entire online platform as part of the student's learning process-

1) Traditional classrooms are using online portals for quizzes, student assignments (both providing and having students submit their work) and communicating with students.
2) A number of traditional schools also are providing students with a blended format (both traditional in classroom and online) for instructional delivery.

Technology is here to stay and how traditional in-classroom organizations choose to participate will determine their ultimate sustainability in the educational environment.

The traditional class room will remain where students have a common living area. In general online learning will replace the traditional class room.

The technology allows us to connect to each other's computer along with superior visual quality.

The only issue that remains is to secure the online testing to prevent fraud.

I don't think online learning will completely replace the traditional classroom because there are still students that prefer the face-to-face interaction. I do think that traditional classes may start to incorporate more online activities as a component to the traditional classroom.

~Diane

Albert,

Cheating and fraud are certainly a problem. However, we have even seen an increase in cheating and fraud in traditional classrooms. Note some of the recent news headlines of SAT cheating groups being busted, prestigious universities reporting major cheating incidents, etc. I believe this is a bigger academic issue than just online classes and one we certainly need to get a handle on.

Herbert Brown III

Diane,

Many traditional classes do incorporate online activities and tools. For example, many instructors use the CMS with traditional classes just to manage the assignments, submissions, and grading. Many teach blended/hybrid classes that try to blend the best of online and traditional. A newer model, the "flipped" classroom moves most of the knowledge content and assignments to an online format, leaving the traditional classroom time for more in-depth discussions and interactions.

Herbert Brown III

I envision a hybridization more than a replacement. There are many things, and many learners, who are best served in a traditional face to face situation. The other side of the coin would be to offload as much material as is feasible to an online, asynchronous format, to reduce the required face to face time and to make more efficient use of it.

Kurt "Trip" Bauer

Cheating and fraud in traditional class rooms has always occurred in my opinion but our methods and ability to "catch" them has improved. Frats have always maintained a volume of stored exams and papers. Okay?
Fraud and cheating ..or academic honesty has not always been an issue with faculty. Online programs has improved the quality of traditional class rooms by imposing better technology in the traditional class room. Most class rooms are smart class room... all online programs are smart class rooms.

I think with society getting faster and faster I think that it is becoming a more convenient option for some. However, there is always going to be the need for traditional classroom instruction. There are also some classes that are going to require some hands on training in the traditional setting.

Kurt,

The second point you make is exactly what is happening now. The "flipped" classroom is just that concept. Move most of the knowledge content to the online asynch. environment and use the traditional class time for deeper discussions and analysis of the content.

Herbert Brown III

Guillermo,

I agree; I would be very hesitant to have a doctor conduct brain surgery on me if they only did it in a virtual online tutorial. Some students just prefer the traditional classroom and interaction, and that is fine. Variety is good, but we will certainly continue to see increases in online programs and enrollments.

Herbert Brown III

I disagree strongly. I find tremendous value with online learning as it is convenient, however there will always be a large segement of our society that will prefer traditional face to face education. We also cannot underestimate the economic power of the brick and mortar schools that have powerful football teams.

Students that are effective in the online environment are organized, independent and motivated individuals.

No, I think both types of classes are important. It may come down to the subject matter. Some classes just need hands on training, such as those in which the student learns how to use equipment, for example.

Subject matter that is conceptual, less hands on is good for online classes.

In some curricula, I see a blend of on ground and online classes would work well. Others could be taught totally online

Plus, I think education should serve all potential learners, not all want to take courses online. Lyn

I believe online and traditional learning environments will be quite symbiotic, one never entirely replacing the other. There will always be learners that will prefer the traditional setting, just as printed books will continue to draw enthusiasts.

Regards,
Lillian Lynn

Sign In to comment