Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Niki,

What you describe is the bigger issue with education - not so much the delivery platform as it is the delivery of the content. But in today's information age and digital stimulus constantly changing, we also expect instructors to "entertain" us in the traditional classroom instead of taking responsibility for our own learning. Online education makes us take responsibility for our learning. I believe what you describe is also why instructors are starting to embrace the flipped classroom models where they use the technology to deliver the basic content which then frees up class time to have more meaningful application of the course content (discussions for example).

Herbert Brown III

I disagree. I think there will always be both campus and online learning. Online learning is ideal for busy working adults, non-traditional learners, and students who live too far away from the school they might want to attend. I can see a future where every brick-and-mortar school has an online component but I don't think traditional university is going away. Some students want to sit in a classroom and experience live classes. Some students want to work on classes from home. There are also students who try online and cannot handle the self pacing and switch. The same goes for brick-and-mortar. As long as there is a need for both - we will see both options.

I think online learning will replace traditional classroom delivery because it is just more economical. Online learning eliminates overhead cost like rent, electricity, and the need of equipment like copies, and computers. Online learning allows student across the country to enroll or take the same class. Online classes also provides more flexibility to students

I feel that the online environment will never replace the face-to-face classroom. The more an instructor shows their presence and makes the course interesting and exciting, the more the online environment will be used by students in the future. Some students have a difficult time learning in an online environment because they do not have the time management skills and self-discipline necessary to succeed in an online course.

Great discussion question.
I don't think that online learning will replace face to face structure, however, I see a strong potential for a blended structure. I see the internet as supplementing and augmenting the traditional classroom environment. There are certain fundamental interactions that schools and colleges facilitates that are difficult to replicate online. If the traditional class ceases to exist, who will teach K-12 the basic skills of mannerism, and to be kind to others?

Tanya,

Well put. We are of course seeing a blending of the two as well in the form of hybrid or blended courses and even flipped classrooms.

Herbert Brown III

Angela,

What about learning that requires a heavy skills/hands on component? Can welders learn to weld by watching videos on YouTube? Do you want a surgeon working on you that only did "virtual" surgeries? Online continues to grow and we also see the blossoming of hybrid learning environments, but can ALL education go online?

Herbert Brown III

Neer,

I appreciate how you view blended instruction. Not many people are tracking the growth in blended instruction, but from my personal observations it might be growing faster and stronger than fully online instruction.

Herbert Brown III

It seems to be going that way. Personally I don't think computerized learning will ever be as good as face to face learning but the world is changing. Just look at how texting, social media, games etc. have captured millions of people. I'm 67 and have seen the Beatles get knocked for long to only be outdone by Heavy Metal long hair, to only be outdone by "bald" heads.....Live long enough and you kind of see that things seem to keep moving along. So I suspect that learning will also keep evolving.

Douglas,

I would argue that a hybrid model of online and face to face is more likely to exceed fully online programs. Completely online programs are difficult in some skills areas, but even those areas can use a hybrid of both sets of tools to provide the most effective learning environment.

Herbert Brown III

I disagree. Online learning will not totally replace the traditional classroom delivery of instructions. The first reason I disagree is because as humans we are social animals. We crave connection and interaction. Socializing with new people, establishing new relationships, and being exposed to new and different people allow for individuals to grow, change, and learn.

Another reason the online setting will not replace the traditional classroom is the experience of the classroom is essential to achieving. The classroom setting offers the students the opportunity to grow professionally. They are in a situation where they are interacting with professional people and it allows for them to learn how to act in a professional setting. Not having this setting would handicap the student once they are in the professional setting of the career they desire. Online education does not allow for the student to role play and learn how to be professional.

The thrird reason online education will not replace the traditional classroom is hands on experience. Most jobs require some type of clinical experience or knowledge of how thing work and operate. Online classes do not offer the hands on experience and practice the traditional classroom can offer. Employers want to hire trained individuals who know how to do their job. They do not want to waste time and money training employees hoe to do the job. They are focused on tescjphing the new hire how their business operates.

I would never have said this when teaching exclusively on ground, but now that I am teaching online I do feel that online learning will replace the traditional classroom, especially for adult learners. The rise for virtual collaboration between work teams in a professional environment, social media, and time constraints will ensure that online learning becomes both more prevalent and more acceptable in the job market.

I think online learning has been a great improvement in education, not only giving opportunities to individuals who did not have access to education before but creating a new breed of learners.

I have to disagree in the statement that traditional classes will ever be replace. There are professions out there that can only be accomplished through the close relationship of practice with a tutor or mentor. Specially in the medical and construction field.

More mathematical and numerical career definitely could be totally replaced. And I think due to the new online environment, new careers will emerge.

Virginia

Lisa,

I would argue that many aspects of the traditional classroom might go online, but many people still want the traditional in person experience and some career pathways require substantial in person skill building to be successful. Web hybrid and online might replace traditional, but it seems that some traditional elements might still need to remain.

Herbert Brown III

Not in the foreseeable future. Some student want that face to face connection. Both online and onsite instruction have advantages and disadvantages, neither is perfect. I teach in both, and would have to say that onsite instruction is still more effective.

John,

That is also why we are seeing a large growth in the blended or hybrid learning environments to build on the best of both.

Herbert Brown III

Online learning will not replace the traditional classroom learning; however, in the world that we are leaving now, more and more people are trying to work full time while going to school. To these people, taking online classes will be the best choice.
Elizabeth

Hi Herbert,
Just like there're varying degrees of quality in face-to-face classrooms, there are also varying degrees of quality in online instruction.

As it stands now, many believe that there are certain content areas which do not fully lend themselves to online training. Many vocational areas with hands on skills are often difficult to to present, demonstrate, and assess online. However, there still maybe many courses within a vocational curriculum that can be delivered online. So in that respect, online learning would be replacing those courses.

But we should never limit ourselves to how we view today's technology. Technology continues to improve and what may not seem possible today maybe easily achievable with tomorrow's technology =)

cheers, mj

Elizabeth,

True, we are still seeing a strong growth in online courses. We are also seeing an increase in the use of online tools to build web hybrid or blended classrooms. Many students still prefer the traditional classes as well.

Herbert Brown III

I don't think online will completely replace the classroom. I do think that we will have courses that will more resemble the hybrid course in the future. I believe campus based classes will start to leverage the online CMS resources to enhance the learning opportunities for students when they are outside of the classroom.

Sign In to comment