Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Legality Issues | Origin: EL114

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Respecting Copyrights and Leveraging Available Resources --> Legality Issues

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

It was good to see that Fair Use explained easily into a 4 part process to make sure you are doing it correctly. I will use these 4 steps in my classroom to teach about Fair Use in our copyright and ethics unit of the class.

Students see no harm in in copying and pasting from their internet sources. These modules gave an excellent history of the origin of copyright laws in the US. Defining the factors that go into fair trade provide opporttunity to share with fellow instructors. 

As adjunct on-line faculty for a for-profit university, I found the potential legal ramifications to be very interesting material (it definitely induced an eyebrow raise!)  Starting immediately, I will ask myself if something is necessary for student learning, which I think it isn't in most cases.  

Fair use is explained well. Determining the "necessity" of the work can be tricky.  However, fair use doesn't apply to online learning in for-profit schools, as is my understanding.  

To know about copyright laws is something basic and relevant int the process of constructing a course on line.

Copy right abuse is something that can happen very easy when you are trying to prep for your class and to find supporting meanigful material. You-tube has been a life saver. 

It was interesting to find out that  instructors caan be heavily fined for copy right infringement.

In this module, I have learned about vital source of information on U.S. copyright concerns is the Copyright Clearance Center. 

We as instructors find ourselves faced with the need to not merely find material that we can use with our students, but also to ensure that we do so in a manner that honors intellectual property rights.  

In this module I could review history of copyright purpose and evoluton trough time. 

Fair use and TEACH act are for non-profit institutions only.

One thing that I learned was that when the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976, Section 107, was legislated, "It is known as the fair use section, and educators since then have been using it as a means to obtain and use copyrighted materials."

Of course instructors have to consider the rights of fair use. 

This content scares me -- I've attended copyright training in the past, but I certainly could use a refresher in what I can and cannot do. I also think that leaving for-profit institutions out in the cold makes it unnecessarily difficult for instructors -- many of whom work for both profit and non-profit schools.

Great information! I will review my institution's policy on copywritten information and how faculty are to proceed in using intellectual property in the classroom.

It seems with even the best of intentions, copyright law is so complex that it is very easy to violate, even with the most moral of intentions. The best best may be to always link to a location where the copyright holder has posted the work, or to ask permission through copyrightl.com. Particularly, I don't think most instructors know how limited "Fair Use" is or that they can only use something one time in one class, not in repeated courses, and that they may only use a small percentage of the work.

Definitely feel like I understand Fair Use now, but still hoping to learn more about obtaining permission or using excerpts and the correct way to cite and give credit to the original author.

Knowing about copyright laws can prevent a lot of costly legal ramifications.

Legally speaking, understanding fair use and copyright laws can help prevent any unfortunate consequences. I wouldn't want my work taken and used without permission and I wouldn't do that to others. 

Understanding fair use and copyright laws is so important and this is an area that I am not clear on. This lesson clarifies and answers many of my questions.

Sign In to comment