Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Defining Various “Realities” | Origin: EL118

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Using Various “Realities” in Online Courses --> Defining Various “Realities”

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have recently looked into the augmented reality aspect that broadcat journalism and television production has been using in their broadcasts. I would love to apply this to my curriculum in some shape or form. As a secondary CTE teacher, I can see certain obstacles that mey get in the way like cost and technology. This is the way of the future and I strongly believe that with the changes with online distance learning due to the recent pandemic, it is a must to move forward with the various realities that industry is already using to prepare our students for their futures. 

I teach cosmetology and this would be an exciting application to use. I hope to find software that I can implement in my program.

There are three types of "realities" available, including Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Realit, (AR), and Mixed REality (MR), a blend of the first two. While these technologies can be immersive and engaging, several downsides are identified. First, while performance increases at the outset, the novelty may wear off and it is not clear that learning is actually enhanced. the technologies and development to produce AR, VR or MR can be expensive or altogether unavailable. Students are also susceptible to illness or injury from using these, and aside from this course, I have been told that they can create siezures in students prone to that. All of this may leave companies liable for "training injuries." While these technologies are used successfully in healthcare, real estate, marketing, and military applications, I don't feel the time is right to being using these for virtual learning, due to the expense and labor-intensive development without evidence that it can provide learning outcomes.

Teachers can utilize multiple realities to teach their students important content.

I would like to use VR and AR to help bring Engineering and Architecture more alive for my students.

In Nursing education we already use high fidelity manikins to simulate various disease processes and test student ability to recognize signs and symptoms. We are using a "virtual hospital" to provide students with safe practice situations before their face to face experience with patients.  These tools have created opportunities for enhanced learning and also serve to improve student confidence.

The costs may be a deterrent. 

VR, AR, and MR could be very useful for three of the programs we offer.  I can see the benefits to nursing, IT, and aviation maintenance training using these technologies.  It can also be useful in some of the general education courses, especially for our nursing students with VR and AR in the areas of anatomy and physiology.

VR is a great way for students to exerperience things that they normally would not have an opportunity to experience. Also, I realized that VR is more afforable than expected. 

The technology shows promise of enhancing hands on learning in a vocational environment, however still a bit cost prohibitive. 

• Virtual - A entirely new reality
  • Augmented - An enhanced reality
  • Mixed - A combination of virtual and augmented realities

Realities are useful in any content. 

I learned that VR is eventually going to be a norm for society, like cell phones. VR can be used in many different fields of study. I plan to use it with my students to give them a more realistic experience when learning about differnt topics in our life skills classroom.

I have found this so far very interesting. I would like to know how you can use this in the Medical assistant program when we are doing online learning.

VR are @ great way to teach till we ge back to normal 

I would love to be able to use this technology in teaching medical coding. I feel the students would benefit from learning about body systems through 3-D lessons. Learners may also understand medical procedures more easily if they were presented in an interactive way.

These modules could use some AR VR and MR to make them more interesting instead of just boring reading the material.  Hey guys, pratice what you teach.

This topic provided some great information on the use of the various realities. This information could be used to take curriculum to a new level in education in terms of engaging students. 

Dr. Yvette Artis

I work in Nursing Simulation and I think the use of virtual and augmented reality will supplement the high fidelity environment and its use for patient care scenarios involving the use of blood and other disposable moulages. The use of augmented reality will allow for a back to back trauma, and surgical scenarios without the use of too much blood, moulage. It cuts the use of time and resources in these types of scenarios. It also allows for the reliability of results by creating scenarios that can be repeated through the help of virtual reality.

Sign In to comment