Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

James,

I see - yes, do you know some instances that would benefit directly in terms of the heightened interactivity?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think when the students can collaborate together they have a much better chance to grasp the lesson being deliverd. one of the things I use in the classroom is "if you can explain the topic to me or another student correctly then you understand the subject" so I let them try often so that the lesson "sinks in".

The most obvious reason is that devices such as the iPad or tablet PCs allow for mobile learning, anywhere and anytime. Students and teachers now have tools specifically designed for learning on the go. Teachers can also customize each device to specifically meet the learning needs of individual students. Special education teachers have found tablet PC's devices to be extremely useful tools.

Our campus just installed 86 new PC's for the students to use. This will make it easier for me to help them with homework and study times and the instructors can bring down the whole class at one time and not have to divide the class up.

The use of tablet PCs increases the customization and flexibility of learning experiences for learners as it affords them the opportunity to fine tune how the receive content. Learners can match their preferred learning styles to how they retrieve data and how they utilize data. Specifically, a visual learner can take the core concept and explore a variety of online resources that produces the information in a visual format such as graphs or interactive videos. This, then, enhances the text and affords the learner the opportunity to engage in self-direction and autonomy. Being vested in the learning process not only creates that deeper connection and ownership to the process, but also opens the door to greater learning opportunities. The learner is essentially in the driver's seat in terms of how far he or she can explore and extend their own boundaries and limits. It is quite literally and figuratively just a click away.

I would really like to have tablet PCs to use in my courses. I have provisional students and many of them do not have access to a computer outside of school. I am not always able to be in a lab for my courses (or in a class with a projector), but I engage in a lot of technology and utilize various resources to bring both psychology and career devo to life. There is so much more that I could do, particularly in psychology with the mylab component, if each learner was able to tap into these resources.

It can be used as an eReader for online textbooks.

Joel,

Any other suggestions or examples?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Abdalla, you are correct in stating that the tablet offers students another learning tool. I point this out because students need to view the tablet as such, a "tool". Students should be reminded that once the information is retrieved, they should think about how to interpreted the information and create an output that demonstrates learning has taken place. Beyond the ease of the access of information, thinking and communicating ideas and critical thinking should continualy be emphasized.

Absolutely! I see them more and more in the workplace. For example: at the dentist recently I was handed a tablet instead of a clipboard; the cable guy had one too. Using a tablet in the classroom is a prime example of learning a skill (tablet use) while learning a subject.

Hello Dr. Reynard,

The use of the table PCs increases customization and flexibility for our students because it enables the student to take control of their education. By this I would like to mention the 'nomadic' learner in our courserooms--by using tablet pc's, students can take advantage of WiFi's and be able to log into their courses from a variety of locations. As mentioned in the lectures, there can be a variety of meeting places for our learners--libraries,cafes, schools, homes, etc. The learner is given the opportunity to customize their schedule to accommodate their learning and meeting place.

Cheers
Su Somnarain

Su,
Yes, very true. So the "nomadic" characteristics of our students are represented in both their expectations for continual connectivity and their desire to connect from any location. While this is convenient for the students, it also has wonderful implcations for teaching and learning as it widens the scope of the learning and integrates an expanded resourcing through Internet access.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Schools across the country are working to find effective and appropriate methods of integrating technology into their classroom instruction. This has typically included one-to-one laptop initiatives or laptop carts. Lately, the conversation has shifted to devices such as tablets. The most obvious reason is that devices such as the iPad, iPod Touch, or Motorola Xoom allow for mobile learning, anywhere and anytime. Students and teachers now have tools specifically designed for learning on the go. Teachers can also customize each device to specifically meet the learning needs of individual students. Special education teachers have found mobile devices to be extremely useful tools. And anecdotal evidence indicates very strongly that these devices are engaging and increase student motivation. Another reason for integrating these tools is that many students are already comfortable with their use. To begin using a tablet such as the iPad, you will need to create an Apple ID. Your ID provides access to the Apple App Store, iTunes, and iBooks Store. You can create an account with or without a credit card. This allows you to download free apps or to use gift cards to purchase apps. The second-generation iPad has several features that make it ideal for classroom use including still and video cameras and the ability to connect with a LCD projector. And the wide range of apps allows for customization of the learning experience.

Tablet PCs are getting better and better, and they are truly increasing flexibility both for students and teachers. They are portable, so learning can occur anywhere. They allow for a variety of tools, so students can use the tools they are most comfortable with. Tablets can be used interactively through a few applications. For example, an instructor can create a poll or an online quiz, and students can participate in the poll or quiz in real time. The teacher can then project the results on a larger screen for all students to view so that they can compare their ideas and their answers. The biggest advantage is that tablet PCs are small and are easy to carry anywhere. Gone are the days of lugging a heavy computer bag around!

Rebecca,

Great points! Also, gone are clickers :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Tablet PCs facilitate vivid imagery and the ability for students to take notes and interact with the content wherever they are. Some student are using their tablets to continually engage with their peers in the discussion boards which is great.

Tablet PCs allow students to move beyond laptops and desktops by enable them to easily take the Internet where ever they go and learn when ever they wish. It advance the Internet and digital learning to be 24/7 activity anywhere the student is.

I see tablets as allowing for a great deal of customization, especially as digital textbooks with a variety of multimedia sources incorporated in them emerge. Reading text based information, viewing photos and videos, listening to podcasts will allow different types of learners to receive information in a way that is beneficial to them.

Tablets are huge these days...and are becoming selling points for students to attend certain colleges that issue them. I feel that if incorporated with careful consideration, tablets can be a very good asset to the classroom, and also as an individual student productivity tool. There are SO many apps that can work for the classroom environment (socrative, screenchomp, etc...) and many many more study and research tool apps that make learning fun and more meaningful to students.

Rebecca,
Very true....new kinds and sizes of phones are influencing this technology.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Each student could interact with the instructor and other classmates immediately during class time, or outside of class.

Sign In to comment