Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Alice,
Great examples! Yes, I agree that these tools simply so much, however, it will be much easier when all of our working environments are fully only and digitized :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Tablet PCs have had a huge impact on mobile learning in the last several years. It can increase customization and flexibility for students by combining the functionality of computers, books, internet, notetaking and other editing software and classroom resources all in a mobile device that gives more flexibility than desktop and laptop computers and more functionality than smartphones and their applications. In another school where I've taught, tablet PCs were used for e-books, so the students didn't even have to purchase and carry books anymore. They had every function and resource they needed right there on their tablet. There were mixed reviews about this from some students who were not tech-saavy, but it did remove excuses for not getting work done.

Great point! I think those of us experienced instructors tend to get attached to the classroom computer and overhead projector. Tablet PCs are a great way to severe this tie. For me, it was a major adjustment moving away from hardcopy textbooks to having everything on the tablet, but it was a welcomed change. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, the note-taking function was a big adjustment for me and my students as well. E-books was not as big of an adjustment for me, although many students complained of the difficulties of reading on the tablet versus real books. But transitioning to taking notes on the tablet was a big change, but there are several obvious benefits, including managing of paper and writing utensils. Thanks for sharing.

At a previous institution we piloted the use of ipad minis in the classroom. Students were more engaged because they had an electronic device that opened many doors for many of the students. They researched more during class, they typed their notes on the tablets, they really utilized the technology well and were very engaged during class time. Aside from receiving what they took as a gift, they were excited to use it and learn with it. It was really a great asset.

Robert,

Awesome examples of successful use - thank you for sharing.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think it would be so neat for students to have access to tablet PCs at my place of employment. I know that we're currently piloting a laptop program with a small sample group of students. Hopefully, we transition to this pretty soon.

I recently spoke to a friend of mine at church about the school fees for her son at the local [private] Christian high school in our town. I asked her why the fees were so high, and she explained that this year, the school gave tablets to each student. The cost was a mere $200, so she happily paid the extra fee. She advised that the students now no longer have to tote around books. All of the books are pre-loaded on the tablets. They do the majority of their assignments on the tablets. They play interactive educational games on the tablets. They take educational polls, and respond to the Smart Boards. And they e-mail most of their assignments to the teachers. They've completely gone digital! I was seriously taken aback! But I was also extremely impressed at the same time, if that makes sense. I wish more schools would take the plunge to become digital. I think they would see immediate benefits. We've certainly come a long way since books, notepads, pencils, and bookbags!

Stacie,
Great examples! Thank you for sharing...yes, and it can be difficult for some of us as teachers to "let go" of the "hard" versions of books etc. The challenge I would see with going totally digital is that all faculty would have to be oriented to these environments and all course delivery would have to designed to accommodate these. In addition, digital literacy would be developing at a great speed so that should be incorporated into the grading and the outcomes of the courses. I guess it would cost a little more than just the $200 for the equipment :)I think it make sense, however.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Tablet PCs were initially instituted for the convenience and flexibility. No large hardware, portability and now with software upgrades has a vast array of learning availability. From a customization perspective, institutions are now front loading the tablets with information in order to facilitate success in a course or program. Each student's tablet can have specific information for him/her which becomes part of their learning process and there cherished more than just a textbook

Bill,
Yes, so that the tablets and other mobile devices are set up to fully connect and network the student as well as provide access to the learning environments and research sources...an integrated system for sure.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The tablet has the ability to change the landscape of instruction... both online and face to face. The tablet can be used as a direct instructional device that will allow direct access to content and direct feedback and input to faculty and peers. The future of the tablet in the classroom seems limitless.

Douglas,
There are recent uses of the tablet in schools and colleges, however, I think with the larger-screened cell phones, students have still prefer phones....I know we're all watching these new iterations of phones to see which will be preferred in instruction.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Students with a tablet pc can have greater participation that can benefit not just him/herself but other when the first make themselves available for tutoring, also cann add overall contribution to the class content.

Gerardo,
Good points. The technology provides an opportunity for immediate interaction for sure.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Tablet PC's are the new educational technology allowing the student to easily transport their online class in their purse or backpack.

Because student's now have a convenient tablet size, rather than the bulky backpack full of heavy books, students are now able to 'open their class and begin class work' at ANY time. Students can work while sitting in the nearby park, while riding in the car, and even while socializing at the nearby coffee shop. This flexibility is giving students more opportunity to continue to learn and gain knowledge.

As for customization - it seems to me that only the student that is either 'tech savvy' or aware of their 'own personal learning preferences' will acquire customization. Tablets can be set with specific font, font size, colors, and formats that are more beneficial for the learner's input. Also student's now have the option to use the internet to retrieve additional videos on a subject that may not be clear in the course content.

Yes, the student now has the option to customize his/her learning environment on the tablet. The question is, will the student choose to customize his/her tablet ?

Lauree,
I agree with you but would also suggest you think further about "progressive customization" in the sense that it can be developed through a flexible learning environment. The self-directedness of new technology really promotes these skills when used well.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think that this lesson has convinced me to purchase a tablet. I was skeptical of tablets because I did not see their value. I am beginning to see their value, and how they can be used.

The problem that I have with tablets is that I see them as mobile personal computers. What is their value when I can just sit down in front of my computer and do the same thing? I realize that tablets are not as heavy as notebooks. However, I prefer a keyboard because it is easier for me to type. I think that if I buy a tablet, it will have to have a keyboard.

Donald L. Buresh

Donald,
I would be interested in hearing form you following your purchase :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment