Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Our campus is going to be implementing laptops in this up-coming year, some are excited and some are not. I hear concerns about doing online studying and training and not understanding maybe some of the material and having no one at that moment to ask for an explination of what they just studied. I can see some of the worry is justified but we need to explain to them that all of their education is now not going to just come from the laptop/online study material. It will be reinforced and explained if there is any doubt or confusion of the material. This will give the students forsight and they will know what the instructor is talking about when we are talking about course related material. Its a win win situation.

Yes, the blended approach would suit this scenario well, Richard. That is, the self-directed skills students will need can be developed within a context of reinforcement and support through F2F meetings and exchange.

Using tablet PCs in the classroom allows the students greater flexibility and increases their organization. They are able to access things that they may have otherwise lost. The collaboration between students is also increased.

Cindy, do you have specific examples of how you use the tablet PCs with your students to increase their organization? This sounds interesting...my sense is that this technology personalizes the experience for students and supports the "tutorial within community" approach to learning. I would love to hear more of your ideas...

I think the fact that they are so mobile will help students in accessing information at the critical point of learning - when the question arises. That way they are more likely to remember the information since it is fresh and can be applied immediately.

Good point, Janet, and it means that learning is taking place at any time.

I encourage the use of pc's and tablets in lecture. It enhances the student interaction and improved attendeance as well.

Great, Carla...do you have actual stats on the imrpoved attendance and how you use the technology to support that?

Tablet PC's is a great tool because you always have your information with you and can work on assignments as needed. You don't have to wait for anyone and you work at your on pace.

True, Juanita. I like your comment about working at "your own pace". This technology helps customize the learning for the student and create an actual digital "space". Do you have examples from your own experience with this technology?

Our school is preparing for students being issued laptops. This will provide the instructor and students the flexibility to conduct class wherever they want. Technology can attend field trips, coffee shops, etc. Even campus based classes will benefit from this implementation. This provides an all new experience for group work, class discussions, individual projects, etc.

Alan,
This is great! Now, you can, as an instructor, integrate the learning context into every aspect of the student experience!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Much like any other technology, tablets are only as effective as their application. If they are not properly controlled, you are simply providing students with another avenue for distraction. We have barely tapped into the potential of tablets, the availability of software applications for these devices will only increase.

I have used software called "Insight" in a computer lab which allowed me to project the class content on their screens, poll the class and allow for private questions to be submitted. All of this is possible on a tablet given the software is available. Tablets have an edge due to their simplicity, mobility and cost.

Juan,

Very true - technology is only a tool and it is the use and application that counts. Thank you for sharing your use of the Insight software...there are several of these programs that help instructors facilitate the collaborative participation of students in the class.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I have also noticed the limitations of accessing websites designed in "Flash" technology, which will hopefully be resolved soon. However, the ability to take digital notes and have immediate access to the web for instant research is terrific. New digital textbooks can also include video clips and interactive content so we are really looking forward to have tablets available for all our future classes.

Despite the terrific work done by Microsoft, it is Apple that has taken the lead in the table computing arena with its iPad tablet.

By creating an easy to use device that can be taken anywhere, and that has over 10+ hours of battery life, Apple has furthered the notion of "anytime, anywhere" computing.

Dave

I'M SURE THESE THINGS WOULD BE GREAT FOR OUR STUDENTS AS WELL AS INSTRUCTORS. UNFORTUNATELY WE DON'T HAVE THIS IN USE YET BUT WE ARE WORKING TOWARDS THAT. I CAN;T WAIT TO TRY IT OUT., IT WILL BE AS MUCH AS A LESSON FOR ME AS IT WILL FOR THE STUDENTS.

everything is kept on a schedule on a tablet pc. it alowes the student to stay mobile if neccessary and still be involved with the class

James,

In which courses do you use the tablets, and for which kind of learning activities? We'd all love to hear more from you on this :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think I might have answered the question wrong, It would be nice if my class had the tablet pc's because everything is directly interactive with all the students. I think it would be a great idea.

Sign In to comment