Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tablets are compact, easily transportable and can easily access the Internet at various locations. Learning can now involve several people at the local cafe, hotel lobby or McDonald's. Learning can happen virtually anywhere.

One thing that I discovered while taking online classes and working full-time is that you need to manage your time and sometimes that means reading a discussion forum thread while grabbing fast food or traveling for work.

About a year ago, students at a proprietary school I work for were switched from physical textbooks to tablets/iPads. Students were very excited to use an iPad to complete their school work. Instructors were given iPads as well to promote the new gig. This new device has increased enrollment at the school since we were one of the first schools to introduce it in the area. A year later, students are using e-books, checking their email and notification centers so often. The school has gained a higher enrollment and the cost of books was lowered to around 60% of the original prices.

Yehia ,
Did you have negative reaction from any students missing physical textbooks?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

At first, I did experience dissatisfaction due to the not being used to an e-book. The school provided training for both faculty and students to get accustomed to the new trend and it has proven to be very successful!

Yehia ,

Excellent! Once the students see the quick access, I think it works well.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Students can actively modify content, contribute to the knowledge base of the class, and help tutor others students. Wireless units also increase flexibility in class room set-up (layout) and this technology also means that data projectors are not needed.

This is just another step in the rapidly evolving learning environment we find ourselves in. Students will be leading us through this change which will require our flexibility and customized reaction to them. It works both ways. Students will have what we have to offer at their finger tips, on the metro, the park bench, the beach, or wherever they choose to be. The potential for change will also be present, as the tablet has capabilities beyond the technology currently used.

Greetings,

The primary difference between a traditional laptop in class and a tablet PC is the touchscreen technology. So, utilizing a tablet PC enables new learning opportunities as students can be more tactile. A great example of applications of touch technology can be seen in the Corning World of Glass video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZkHpNnXLB0

Go to about the 1:45 mark to see a classroom using touch tech. At 2:35, you can see an interactive learning experience.

Enjoy!

Rick

One way tablets increase flexiblity is thanks to cloud technology. Students can access a document from a tablet, for example, and edit it through tools such as DropBox, Google Drive or the new Microsoft features. By having a tablet, they can also take notes, edit documents, access information, and so forth on the go. Tablets can also be a great study tool.

Students can use tablets to do the same things they could do with a PC or their desktops - access information on the internet, read ebooks and other course materials and so on. However, they are lighter weight, and more portable. The student can take the device wherever they go, and do their work in nearly every setting.

Michael ,
Of course, now the new versions of tablets are smaller and more integrated than ever before.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Hi Andrea,

I agree that tablets provide new opportunities for the access and sharing of information. On the flip side, they pose a threat in that students can become easily distracted by the constant buzzing of social networks, chat applications, e-mail, news sites, blogs, etc. It would be great to devise a way to limit the kinds of information that could be accessed during a particular time period or while in certain locations, such as for an exam. Regardless, they're a technology worth embracing, at least with slight reservations.

Thanks,
Amy Phillips

More and more students are using the ebook option for textbooks. Rather than hauling all their textbooks to class, they are able to download all the textbooks onto a tablet or laptop and simply travel lighter to class. Students can highlight information and take notes. It is also easier for students to look up information on the web during discussions. The down side is that students can also get distracted by using the devices during class for other things.

Tablet PC's have changed the academic playing field. You can house everything you need for entire college career if done properly. From e-texts, assessments and assignments, the ability for more dynamic hybrid learning and overall engagement and retention. This Generation needs that technology to breathe in most cases. So we should aide in that process.

The newer tablets will eventually eliminate the need for laptops or desktops. Students can use their tablets of conference meetings where all are connected to share ideas or build upon a current concept. Skype enables students and instructors alike to interconnect and collaborate on projects. Apps such as LinkedIn allows students to display their portfolios or to showcase their work.

My son's school has now introduced Tablets in one of their grade levels. It is refreshing to see the excitement in the learning process among so many of the kids.

I see so many of these ideas being discussed here actually taking place at the high school level. And it really brings home the point that these students will be in our classrooms possibly one day. It's exciting to actaully learn what is taking place in this generation of classrooms so we are better prepared to be efficient and successful in our instruction.

Kathy,
Thank you for sharing that example. So true that we should keep paying attention to K-12 regarding technology, as this will change what our students will expect over time and, hopefully, how we set up and deliver our instruction.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

With the advances in technology tablets will eventually replace traditional PC’s and laptops. An example can be the iPad. Several schools across the nation provide students with iPad’s pre-loaded with copies of text books and apps that enhance the classroom experience. Steve Jobs once said that computers are like bicycles for our minds. Let’s embrace the technology and ride with our students into the 21st Century.

robert,
Yes tablets and mobile technology are an amazing partnership :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Tablet PC's free the students up to have all the tools of their class at their fingertips anytime they need them, without the burden of heavy books in heavy bags. I have worked with physicians with the tablets, more than students at this point. I can say with the utmost confidence that they love the convenience of looking back at a record or correspondence without wasting time searching through papers or files.

They can also access the internet for needed information without worrying which book they were looking at that held the information.

I also think the students would have a chance to interact with each other and share what they have found with their fellow students.

Sign In to comment