Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Bolonga can undermine logical learning

I teach at an automotive technical training institution where we have few self starters or self motivators. I’m all for tools that aid in the spread of knowledge and not afraid that they will put me out of a job. I’m a baby boomer, and a little slower at adapting to and accepting new technologies. I’ve found there is a lot of false information or bologna on the internet. Bologna can undermine logical learning. That’s my opinion.
I look at my job as that of a guide, one that helps my students on the start their journey thru the pasture of life, around bologna not one that spreads it. My goal is for them to find their own path to achieve their goal. The journey is all about reliable knowledge. That’s how goals are achieved. Slow down, watch your step, enjoy the journey.

SO, Douglas, how can you ensure that as an instructor you are guiding your students away from the incidental towards what really matters for their learning? What strategies and methods do you use for this?

Dr. Renyard,
I teach an advanced performance engine building, tuning course. I would say that 95% of my students are hands on learners, like myself and have a hard time staying focused while reading or working on a computer. Group discussions turn into what we call in the racing industry as bench racing sessions. There are more untruths than facts.
As an instructor it is my job to help separate fact from fiction. My students need a more structured environment. I have to be involved, which I am. Engine building is a science, and needs to be approached with logic. A slow logical approach is needed to be successful. Instant gratification just doesn’t happen. You wouldn’t want a medical doctor to learn surgery on a computer without going thru an internship.
I am a mentor, a manager, a motivator and a monitor.

Good points, Douglas. Yes, we most often approach teaching in ways that we learn best. We do still have to challenge ourselves to go beyond what we enjoy to meet the needs of our students as well as helping students move beyond their comfort zone as they learn. New technology can help support and mediate as we facilitate this kind of complex process.

Hey Doug,
I would agree whole heartedly with your comments since I teach a similar subject. I do utilize a mixed approach to the subject being taught. I start with having the studnets read relevant material from a related text, discvuss the topic covered to get them on board with terminology and then we use online material primarily for the antimations of the systems and then we procede with lecture and from there to lab. After lab we go into discussion about what we did durring the hands on portion and help them to understand how the item really works to reinforce the material covered durring lecture. This is not quite the traditional hybrid learning they use in college, but it works well for me in the technical field.

Any time I can use something to help a student understand the course I am all for it. I am always looking for new and better ways to teach students,Not all students learn the same way and if we have more then one way to get the lesson to the students more will understand it.

Doug,

Well said. Teaching Fabrication I run into the same issues as well. Sadly many of our students are what I call "microwave" students. They are so use to computers and technology they expect everything to be quick and easy. They do not have the patients to work for something. They are looking for the easy button. The majority are tech smart but do not know how to work. It is sad...

Students are being motivated by technology and this is exciting. Hopefully we will continue to use it in ways that enhance their learning. It is something to look forward to in the future. This tool brings the needed puzzle piece to their learning and allows them to think outside the box. We must continue in these endeavor and stronger motivation on the part of the learner is sure to follow.

McKinley, what do you do as a professional to stay current with technology trends that you can use with your students? Do you find it a challenge to stay current?

I like your response. Automotive student need learning from many input sources. It is a business and profession based on rugged individualism.

Dr. Reynard,
I am totaly agree with you that new technology can help support and mediate as we facilitate the complex process of teaching and learning. But, I also think new technology, computer, and/or internet is not an answer for every subject that we are teaching. For example, I can see how new technology can enhance my color theory and lighting design class. On the other hand, hand drafting class won't be able to benifit much from new technology.

Gwo-Fang, it is true that not all subject areas can benefit from the same uses of technology as others, however, the essence of new technology is customization and direct application - both of these are generic concepts but would need specific applications of technology to achieve each. Can you think of some general benefits of technology that would help all of your students?

Our school has a web based system call "Portal" which we can post syllabus, assignment, grade,... etc.
The system made the communication process versatile and easy.

Yes, Gwo-Fang, there are administrative benefits that make operations more efficient but it also presents an opportunity for students to become more independent in their own learning process. What other ideas to you have for increasing student self-directedness?

I, too, am an automotive instructor and maybe you have to be to fully understand Mr. Wolfe's statement. Our students are always "researching" certain topics online as most young people do today. Problem is, there are no internet police to monitor what information is accurate and what information has been written by somebody who thinks he knows but doesn't, somebody who is bragging about "facts" that are actually fiction, or somebody who has an ulterior motive such as trying to sell something with outrageous claims of fuel efficiency and/or horsepower gain. Many of the authors of this material have absolutely no credentials or relevant experience in the field but because it is on the internet, students think it is credible. We are constantly working to guide students in the ability to separate truth from fiction but sadly, they often tend to believe the fiction because it sounds "easier". Example: Why spend many hours of hard work, calculations, and possibly even get your hands dirty, when a simple five minute installation of a miracle air filter will accomplish the same goal? There is as much or more misinformation on the internet about automotive topics as truth or fact. It could be quite a daunting task to approve or disprove information acquired by 30 students on the internet every day in a few hours of class time.

I am excieted about the new hybrid style classes that are here now and the ones to come.I think that this will be a greater chance to mix old school and new school.

We live in an era of great opportunity to re-invent ourselves by using tools of technology. Being in the collision repair training industry I am having to play catch up with my students when it comes to computer use. The benefit we see in using hybrid methods for our industry is greater information gathering abilities which allows to become even more lean in our processes.

we use a web base system this give students the oppotunity
to check assignments and help follow the syllabus better.
this helps them get a jump on assignments and
classwork.

Is this a course delivery system, Clive? Do you also use it to deliver course content and facilitate real time and asynchronous discussions?

Good points, Robert. In the gathering of information, how do you help students organize and apply the information critically in a real life context?

Sign In to comment