Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

SO true. Being the courses I teach are 6 hrs of class out of 90 hour course I am not sure how you could get hands on without the 84 hrs of labs.

I also teach automotive courses, and I hear daily about internet follies from our students. I do not think this is what we need to focus on here. The ability to feed the students "good" information through discussions via the internet and content that has been approved by the experts in the field of study is what needs to be put out there. I have seen some very good information that our students are more likely to absorb through internet media or discussions with peers and instructors.

Good points, Benson. Teachers are needed to guide the process, however, making use of the additional resources makes good sense.

I also agree that we can retrieve valiable information from the the internet. Students and teachers must be careful, some of the information may not be supported by substantiated reference information or reasearch to validate the information or subject.

I come from the Atari 2600 era. Most of my students are from Xbox360. I find that combining a little from both eras- the how we got there to the where we are at- peaks intrest and helps explain why things are the way they are. When time allows it is also helpful to discuss the where we will be in X years.

Yes, Thomas, the journey is the process and reinforces the process of learning in general. Good points!

I am all for giving a student every resource possible to gain information. I am a hand on type instructor, yes the student has a visual online but when I put a component in their hands it is like turning on a switch.

I often find that with the challenge of todays students we must use everything we can to help motivate.The more "new" technologies we bring to the table the more the students have the challenge to learn.

Indeed, Dave, and the better students will be prepared to go on learning beyond the class experience.

I think that the solution to implementing the use of this alternative, using the web as a teaching tool, would be for us as instructors to search the web for good reliable sources of information and provide the students with a guide of sorts providing web links to good information that they can explore and bring back to class.

I have an idea, an excersize in skeptical thinking; privde the students with a link to some information about an engine claim that you know to be false! Then challenge the students to research the subject and prove that it is false by locating more liable sources on the web showing testing data or how the false claim breaks the laws of physics, as many do.

I am with you Todd. I have pulled up different things off the internet to show students. We looked at the information provided and came up with a proper repair, and discussed what was on the forum. I am also in an automotive technical school.

This helped to bring the Xboxers into the discussion and they were very interested in the subject. They were able to determine the correct repairs and put aside the false teachings on the forum.

It was a great way to combine internet and class lectures.

In addition to teaching in the traditional classroom, I have taught online for almost four years. This is the first term that I have taught a blended format, and I am working through a few glitches, which is not related to the technology as much as it has to do with motivating the students to be self-learners. I have a small group in my class, and not one has kept up with meeting weekly deadlines for all of their work. Do you have any ideas on how I can help the students see the importance of completing their work on time?

I teach business courses and I've found the tactic of making an outrageous claim does ignite good discussion - an online on occasion it can be better because participants can add in their own research easier than in-class.

John, your "outrageous claim" tactic is always a winner!! :) Yes, providing the asynchronous opportunity provides more time to think and build on ideas. Good point.

I agree,with having the studnets read relevant material from a related text, discvuss the topic covered to get them on board with terminology and then we use online material primarily for the antimations of the systems and then we procede with lecture and from there to lab. After lab we go into discussion about what we did durring the hands on portion and help them to understand how the item really works to reinforce the material covered durring lecture. This is not quite the traditional hybrid learning they use in college, but it works well for me in the technical field.

Dana,

You have thought through the interaction well. I would suggest that if you could use the Internet for discussions and collaborative group work, the learning context would become even more dynamic. This would be due to the combination of autonomy, collaboration , and knowledge building.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Cleve,

I have taught many blended class and have had the same problme as you everytime. Some students understand when assignments are due and others do not. If you check usually those students that are late with their work for blended are also late for regular face-to-face class work. Deducting points for late work sometimes help. If possible close the place where the student is to upload the work and make them bring it to you on paper. This make help them get it done and uploaded electronically.

Charles,

Good suggestions! I agree that late assignments are simply a part of the process with some students. Every student is at a different stage of development. Having consequences is most effective, and it certainly supports the professional preparation aspects of career and vocational education.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I am also an automotive/diesel instructor. In addition to "blended learning" our courses would mostly benefit from an apprenticeship program. Most of these guys are in for a world of hurt when they enter a for-profit shop and think that they are competent because they have been given flexible learning objectives and completed a large percentage of their education requirements from home.

My best solution would involve a technician who has a proven track record of solving problems and turning profits to engage in this type of program after he/she has attained a higher level of experience.

Dustin,
I'm wondering if you have discovered any simulation technology that could help provide training opportunities for your students? I know that CJ programs as well as medical programs have really benefited from this approach...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment