Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree with you that not all subject areas can benefit from the same uses of technology as others. As our course states, it must be relevant. For example, my school would like to add a simlab which is great for those in the medical field. However, I teach massage therapy and massaging a mannequin will never replace the quality of muscle tissue found on a live human being. I do however wish to incorporate online software applications for soap charting and triggerpoint mapping. I think that would be more relevant to my students. I think the important thing to remember is how technology will support student learning and that we are not cookie cutter programs where one technology will work for everyone.

Hello Dr. Reynard,

I found your comment concerning hands-on learners to be quite interesting. I find that most professionals who work with machines are certainly kinesthetic learners, benefitting from tactile learning environment. However, I was surprised to learn that many students in my online U.S. History class were tactile learners that enjoyed studying history online far more than when approaching the subject in a traditional classroom.

Many of my students hold this opinion because they are able to “click” through the classroom, exploring various written resources, multimedia offerings, website listings and maps available in different parts of the classroom. Also, I find that my lectures add to the kinesthetic nature of the online classroom. Many hands-on learners find my lectures beneficial because, unlike a traditional lecture in which one sits in a room listening to a subject matter expert, during my online lectures, I am able to provide students with the ability to download files or view maps and other data which I can emphasize and manipulate according to student interest. Even the ability of student to type comments during the lecture adds to the tactile nature of the classroom. The act of typing as a form of interaction often helps hands-on learners to avert boredom while listening to online lectures.

In conclusion, I was surprised to see that an online classroom can offer so much hands-on learning, even for a subject such as U.S. History.

Dariusz,

Fascinating comments! I would make a distinction between tactile and experiential learning. MOST learners benefits from experiential approaches which is why "clicking through" or experiencing the environment, makes it more interesting ...or can, if the instructional design is well done :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I teach Information and Office Tech (IT & OT) on ground classes. This works in my favor since a lot of my lessons include the students use of companion websites provided by the text publisher. Sometimes these allow me to grant access to online resources so I can track when the students access them and turn off access after a deadline. I put this information directly in the gradebook so the students know they are accountable for the online work and meeting the deadline. I also provide an online calendar through the gradebook with all assignments, hyperlinks to them, and deadlines clearly posted. This cuts down on the excuses of students not knowing what to do, when to do it, and where to find it. Of couse there are always some who still fall behind and I do some hand holding and occasionally extend deadlines. I see a trend of more student resources being available online and include tools for the instructor. Even traditionaly hands-on work can be simulated (but never replaced) with some of these online applications.

Sign In to comment