Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Absolutely....same as a book. If I pick up a book and only see black and white pages....I do not like the book immediately!!

The "look and feel" of an on-line course is important. I have been a student in the environments of WebCT, Blackboard and more. Some were easier to navigate, others did not completely operate (chat rooms not active), but such distractors, while important, did not prevent me from obtaining the content. I have also taught within the WebCT environment. I tried to make the navigability clean and clear. Now, I wish to do it over, this time armed with such content as I receive from this course.

I believe you will have the chance to use what you learn.

I agree that the look and feel of an Online Course should impart the knowledge and skills for that design task and it should also be very User friendly. The design and accessibility should be a ease for those who have done online course, but also not to difficult for those starting out. The link resources should be nice and useful and also have some insightful video training aids. I know its hard at time to reach some of the Hands-on types, but are some insightful ways to reachout to them for them to be involved.

Absolutely! Reach out through conference calls or other ways!

Gives the student flexability to complete the course at their own pace.

would you give them a deadline? Say three weeks per unit??

I agree that the look and feel of an online course is very significant. I don't agree, however, that it is as important as the knowledge and skills it is designed to impart. I would give higher weight tot he knowledge and skills it is designed to impart. Utlimately, though, the look and feel can impact the level of sucess in achieving the desired learning outcomes because it can impact the student in terms of the necessary learning environment. If the student struggles with navigating the environment, or if the technology is cumbersome, that can impact the student experience in a negative way.

Nice note on the technology being cumbersome.

It is important to develop a system that
advertises
enrools
provides financial aid
checks attendance
checks on late students
provides all technical support in a comprehensive way

Thanks Shelly. Adult learners with little technology experience run quickly when things don't work smoothly. Younger learners with technology savy get bored quickly, and have higher expectations of how the technology will be integrated into the classroom setting. So to work effectively with either group, the technology has to work seamlessly in the online classroom environment. Technical problems always crop up, even in the best environment, so it's also very important to have a dedicated tech support team.

excellent list!

Yes, I believe looks is probably more important. It attracts visitors and keeps them involved

I agree because the course would be more dynamic when it's reflecting the look and feel of the designer of the course.

Would you like to see the instructor have input into the design?

I agree to a point -- look and feel is important but without the appropriate knowledge and skills the learning experience may come off as all show and no go. Proportionally I think it's 70% knowledge and skills and 30% look and feel.

Good point, students want to learn from an expert.

i believe that the look and feel of a website is judged by individuals in different ways. whats important is that the info necessary for the student to succeed is freely available and not confusing or technically difficult. a classroom , online or not, is a place of LEARNING, not a comfortable lounge.

Very well said!!!

Hello Shelly,

I agree. In my very limited experience with online coursework I have found some platforms to be primitive in design and lacking in visual appeal. While the content was acceptable, I would have enjoyed more varied fonts, syle and graphics.

Sign In to comment