Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Agreed. Without an accessible online "look and feel" the course will be viewed as not accessible for varied learning styles.

All boils down to first impressions.

and if we do not like them how can we expect our students to like them!

Yes, first impressions can make a critical difference with almost any human transaction, but particularly so, it seems to me, with exclusively online interactions. The use of select multi-media, group interaction, guest lecturers online and a student-centered approach to learning makes a lot of sense in any classroom, but online those options for learning seem even even more accessible.

As an online student myself, I am drawn to assignments that are visually stimulating and challenging yet still accessible and well-organized. Also, if the facilitator is responsive, caring and knowledgable, this can be successfully reflected through their choice of assignments and how they are presented, focused on, and even assessed online, which helps, since I would be expected to give as good as I get!

I'm wondering, does the idea of first impressions have an impact in other areas of online learning?

I agree. Once students feel comfortable with how to access the required information, then everyone can focus on the actual learning experience.

exactly!

First impressions are very important!

This is very important but the look and feel should be tested with focus groups and instructors before the course is offered.

I agree. I think that an online course has to be user-friendly, and part of that means having a welcoming environment for the students to "click" into. One of the things I have learned as a Quality Matters reviewer is the importance of having a Welcome message that gives students an idea of where to go. Some learning platforms are easier to navigate than others, so this is especially important for new online students.

Once students are in the course, graphics and other eye-catchers help to draw the students' interest. Even in a course that is heavy on the information, a few graphics can help the students to stay on track.

Tara

While it is difficult to do, I think you're right. For the different learning styles, it is a matter of providing different types of activities. I like Sherry's idea of using crossword puzzles and things of that nature. I also think that it is a good idea to have students do something that is kinesthetic. For instance, I have a colleague who is a geology teacher, and part of the materials for the course includes a geology kit complete with rocks and a magnifying glass and other stuff. Students may discuss their findings online, but they are actively engaged with kinesthetically with those rocks.

Tara

I agree with this statement, because the layout of an online course makes a difference in how students retain information. If items in the course are difficult to find and are not properly organized, a student will have a harder time getting what they need and successfully comprehending the material. It's also important that students feel comfortable in their online classroom setting, so that they don't get discouraged and are unable to complete the course.

thank you! Yes every course should have some sort of quality control....where someone is looking for broken links or spelling errors.

Yes there are many types of things we can offer online for different learning styles...keep an open mind while developing a course.

oh so true....quality control is a must.

How do you feel about instructors changing the look of the course? Is it better to have a shell that all instructors work within so that students are better prepared for how to navigate their courses? For instance, most colleges use a platform like Desire2Learn or E-College, but some of those platforms have more options than others. Angel is one that allows instructors to do many different things to change the look and feel of the course. This is great for the professor, but I wonder if it is good for the students who are always walking into a different world of sorts in each class. Should they have to spend the first week figuring out how this instructor has designed this course?

Tara

I wholeheartedly agree the look and feel of an online course is just as important as the knowledge and skills it imparts. The look of an online course should be engaging and the feel should be inviting or warm. The student will be less likely to engage in course content if its presented in a boring, mundane way. Students who might tenatively engage intially will become disenchanted and not consider the content much. Whereas an interesting, cleverly presented material will be quickly consumed and remembered for long time to come.

There are more and more online classes available, so the class needs to be inviting for students. Excellent!

Agreed. The look and feel of the course is very important and it's a delicate balance. It has to be user friendly and engaging / welcoming while at the same time not too casual because it is an academic environment. For example if a graduate course is overloaded with graphics and bright colors, learners may feel it's a bit too much like primary school and they may not get much out of it. On the other hand, if the course is simply out of the LMS box, it may not be engaging enough to keep their attention. In either case, they could drop because it isn't meeting their expectations in one way or another. To learners the look and feel of the course is often times the equivalent to the first lecture in the traditional classroom, it could very well be the deciding factor if the course is right for them (or not).

I love how you say "delicate balance"!

I agree that the look and feel of an online course is as important as the knowledge and skills it is designed to impart because it is paramount to get the learners attention and then engage them.

Sign In to comment