Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Love that....it is and should be what the learner gets out of the class!

I agree completely. If I am trying to navigate any type of web page, whether an online course or just internet browsing, if the page is too busy or not appropriately laid out I get confused easier, and more likely to give up when it is not easy to navigate.

Areed! The look and feel of an online course is just as important as the knowledge and skills because all can foster a multi-sensory learning experience

Multi-sensory can be a learning experience in itself.

Good point....you might look for awhile, but then just move on. So who knows what the student is really learning if the page is too busy.

I absolutely agree with you. Teaching, I read once, "means helping students to learn and the teacher is the catalyst in the learning process"; meanwhile "learning is something that students do, not something that is done to them".
Traditional classrooms allow teachers to write down a sketch of the teaching activity, leaving some space to the improvisation and adjustment at the moment of the class.
In online courses each detail has to be planned carefully in advance and the look of the learning activities within the course, guarantee the students’ engagement and intellectual interaction which is one of the keys for the learning success.

Absolutely, course developers must play student role.
It is the only way we can see and feel what they will see and feel.

... less is more, I like that!:)
We arrived to a similar conclusion, after several attempts in looking for an optimal template, or good design for our online courses; we realized that simplicity is geniality in the e-world .

Love how you stated that! You do have to "play" student role!

Absolutely!! Each page should be something that a student wants to be engaged in and hold intellectual interaction!!

E-world....love that!!

I agree, if the online course design and feel does not offer a welcoming environment and easy navigation the knowledge and skills is irrelevant. The student will be lost in a poorly designed online course.

And lost does not encourage learning!

Hello Shelly,
The "feel and look" of an online course is very important. Thank you for the views of those who have responded before me and I particularly liked the responses exchanged between Satrohan and Richard. For student-centered virtual classroom, it is vital to capitalize on technology to make the appearance and organization of materials in the virtual classroom. I put myself in the shoes of my students when setting up my online classes with the aim of making it as visually attractive as possible. My specialization is marketing; and in marketing the presentation is as important as the message content. As a facilitator of online courses, I put a high premium to setting up a visually appealing and “cheerful” virtual classroom with design principles, font usage, multicolor, highlights, etc. to make the classroom as welcoming, attractive and attention grabbing as possible to students. It is like a good website retains the visitor, I try to give my virtual classroom user-friendly in order to make my students feel good and motivated keep reading, navigating and exploring the content. I think it is very important to invest on the “feel and look” of our virtual classrooms to help and encourage our students to maximize their learning and make their journey more enjoyable. I also agree that “content” is very important and that we can use technology to communicate more effectively; and beyond that to better connect with our students.
Thank you.

Love how you specified a "cheerful" class....love that!!!

I believe Online course designed very smart. Using navigation simlicity links students are able to go through the course content. I do agree with you.

Just make sure all links work! Very frustrating when they do not. Also, some links will work, but only when Shockwave or updated Jave is installed.

A lot more to learn. Thank you very much.

I think I agree with the person who agreed "up to a point." While the look and feel of the online course is critical to getting learner buy-in, this concept shouldn't be extended to the point that we are satisfied with the bells and whistles of a snazzy online course at the expense of a rigorous learning experience. I tell my own students (in a traditional brick-and-mortar) that while I do want to have fun with our coursework, and while I do believe that we can have fun AND get the job done, if it's one or the other, we have to get the job done.
I think if our online course imparts the necessary knowledge and skill but does not have a good look and feel, we can be disappointed but at least know that we . But on the other hand, if we have an online course with a great look and feel but does NOT impart the knowledge and skills, we're not getting the job done. Based on that rubric, then, I don't think I can really say that the look and feel are "as important" as the knowledge and skills.

Agree. I believe alot of people , self included will judge as soon as the first page. The look and feel should be seen and felt by the first page, and all the way through to maintain student engagement.

Sign In to comment