Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

While the look and feel of the course are extremely important, I do not believe they are equally important to the content, or the structure and sequence of the content delivery. One could use an online course template that has a consistent look and feel that has been successfully applied in other courses. However, if the content is lacking in a course based on that template, then you are left with a poor quality online course that students would be disappointed with.

I agree that the look and feel of the course is of paramount importance for a number of reasons with student engagement and ease of navigation amongst the top. If the course is a page turner, then what is the point putting it online. A student could use a book to go through the content, which they probably would be happier with. One should use the technologies available for developing online courses to integrate media elements to capture the various learning styles of the learners who will be engaging in the course. Care should be taken not to overwhelm the learner with too many elements. It is also important that the student be guided through their learning experience sequentially and that they understand the various components and tools available to them and how/when to use them.

I think the meat of the course where the design teaches the knowledge and skills students need to achieve learning objectives is the most essential and time intensive component when designing an online course; however, the look and feel of the course is equally important. If the course is not comfortable and easily accessible to the learner it can compromise the course delivery to the extent that student learning outcomes are not achieved.

Lysey,

Great points - I agree! If the student is turned off by the design or can't navigate through the class the content won't matter.

Jon

I agree. In this day and age with so many time restrictions between work & school - if the students cannot navigate it quickly and easily they will simply give up and move on to the next thing they have to do. The look and feel of the online course aids the student in achieveing this goal.

There seems to be a couple of levels to "look and feel." There are the four characteristics of on line learning, but there is also a natural comparison to other on-line activities. It seems challenging, but inevitable, that on line education must have the look and feel of some of the best on line experiences students are aware of, e.g. Amazon.com, ITunes.

The course must grab the learner's attention from the start, or the knowledge and skills won't even matter. Students of all ages and abilities are used to exciting and interactive web sites on the internet. The same must be true for any on-line course or the student will lose interest and move on.

I recall my first on-line course using a BlackBoard interface, and it was overwhelming. It was very hard to navigate, and it negatively impacted my reaction to the class. We want our students to focus on the material without having the navigational structure detract from the class. Adult learners who are digital immigrants need to have a lot of support with the navigational structure so that they can truly focus on the knowledge and skills that the class is designed to impart.

I completely agree. I feel that if our students do not understand how to navigate an online site or course then the information we wish for them to receieve will not be grasped. If they are not grasping our concepts then they will not aquire the skills and knowledge we wish for them to gain.

Jeffery,

Good points! Yes, students now are starting to have higher expectations based on the other applications that they are familiar with.

Jon

I absolutely agree that the look and feel of an online course is important. Now is it as important as knowledge and skill, not completely. I think the biggest impacts with regards to look and feel of a course design are ease of use and does it make your students feel welcome into a positive learning environment.

The instructor is the key to these parts. As an instructor you have to set a tone, develop rapport, and create an environment, often times with only your words. I have seen and been a part of various online courses that are stale in their opening and welcome. Also most systems will allow the instructor to move tabs and links as they desire for the set-up of that class.

In the end however, your course can be user friendly and exceptionally laid out, but if the content is not there and the students feel they are not learning anything it does not make much difference. You need it all. Similar to your favorite restaurant, good food, good wine, and good service all lead to the ultimate experience.

I agree also. If it is done correctly, it will have a "hands on friendly" feeling that will make the course that much easier for the learner to deal with.

I agree... It will be that much easier for the new learner to navigate through!

Andrew,

Yes, the ease of use for the student is critical.

Thanks,

Jon

The look and feel of an online course is important since it captures our attention and interest. Just look at the advertisements and graphic displays that provoke us into looking or listening. But I do feel that the importance is the content, and the course design. I believe in what the theorist Richard Clark said in 1983, vol. 53 of the Review of Educational Research. He compared the delivery of instruction by media to the delivery of groceries by truck to your home. The nutritional value of the groceries/food being delivered was not any better because they were delivered by truck to the door than if you went to the store and purchased the products yourself. The value was in the food itself.

I agree, because if the course is engaging, learning will result. I like modern, intuitive, interactive courses online.

Look and feel is important. Color has a lot to do with our emotions; warm colors evoke emotions ranging from feelings of warmth and comfort to feelings of anger and hostility. Cool colors and include blue, purple, and green. These colors are often described as calming effect. One must set the mood for the student. All aspects of an online course (Look, Feel, Content, and Presentation), are equally important; just like a recipe leave one ingredient out and the result is a flop.

I completely agree, Its often difficult for students to understand where they are located any given moment within a virtual campus. If color coding or unique visual content were to be added, then this might help the confusion become clear.

Robert,

Good thoughts on colors and how people react to them. Also remember to address how those who are colorblind can view site.

Jon

Yes, You can use a number of things (colors, icons, images) to create a visual reference for the student.

Jon

Agree! If you online course can extend the students attention span, more interaction will be likely.

Sign In to comment