Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Excellent point Barbara. We never want to dummy down any class whether it is face to face or online.

I don't know that I would say that it is just as important, but I do agree that the look and feel is an important part of making students feel engaged and to reduce confusion.

In one of the CEE classes I took last year, I was surprised to learn of a fourth learning style--"written word." I have been familiar with the visual, auditory, and kinesthetic styles, but "written word" was new to me. I have done some research, and I think this newer category is an important consideration for online classes. The words presented and the styles in which they are presented can impact what they communicate, such as Marshall McLuhan's statement, "The medium is the message."

In a class that I am taking, for one of the first lessons, the professor asked that we use bold font for the assigned key terms that we used in our papers. I think the classroom platform may not have supported a variety of font choices, so "key terms" was writing in all capitals but not in bold font. So, in my first paper, even though the use of all capitals is not viewed as a good choice for common nouns, I placed my key terms in all capital letters. The capital letters seemed to stick with me more than the concept of bold font because of the example given.

Great example and use of key words.

It should look and feel like the information is important to the student. The course beginning information should entice the student to want to learn more about the subject being taught. If the student feels this is a waste of time, he/she will not put effort into the assignments and therefore will not get out of it what was intended. Revelance is a great part of delivering a course whether on ground or on line.

Oh so true Mary....I have had several students in gen ed course who simply do not like the info and think it is not for them. You have to keep them interested.

The knowledge and skills are paramount and first priority; however, I would tend to agree the look and feel of an online course is as important to the learning process as the knowledge and skills it is designed to impart. I perceive this to be the analog of pleasant classroom surroundings of on-ground courses – educators and education administrators go to great lengths to ensure a comfortable environment conducive to facilitating learning. The students are primarily in school to gain knowledge and skills, and history as taught it is certainly possible to gain knowledge and skills without such environments. However, such environments certainly do make the attainment of knowledge and skills more pleasant. Too much emphasis on the surroundings and environment can potentially overshadow the value of, and emphasis on, the knowledge and skills.

The knowledge and skills are paramount and first priority; however, I would tend to agree the look and feel of an online course is as important to the learning process as the knowledge and skills it is designed to impart. I perceive this to be the analog of pleasant classroom surroundings of on-ground courses – educators and education administrators go to great lengths to ensure a comfortable environment conducive to facilitating learning. The students are primarily in school to gain knowledge and skills, and history as taught it is certainly possible to gain knowledge and skills without such environments. However, such environments certainly do make the attainment of knowledge and skills more pleasant. Too much emphasis on the surroundings and environment can potentially overshadow the value of, and emphasis on, the knowledge and skills.

Nicely stated and I have to agree with you that some classes I have seen have been overshadowed.

I agree if the set up is too complicated it can be discouraging to our online students.

What really makes a complicated look? Too many widgets? Too many links?

Clutter due to attempting to post several apps in one area. I believe as the fonts/text size decrease so do the interest of our students. If we attempt to display too many resources in one area it can get cluttered, complicated and discouraging for our e-learners.

Love that answer. I so agree with you! Many times...less is more!

I agree. The look and feel of the course it is extremely important. Student will be more enthusiastic about learning if the environment is pleasant, fun, easy and accessible. The look of the course should also reflect the subject matter and the graphics and color should be of quality. The design should be attractive to the learner as any other online environment.

I agree that the look and feel of an online course is just as important as the knowledge and skills you are trying to impart. If a student opens your course and is confused about where to look for something, they will easily become disinterested in the course and probably not do well.

I agree. The look and feel are important as they creates learning environment. If the look is to complexor has too much content it overwhelms the students (or at least has me). If it is not challenging then credibility of the course is questioned.

Yes, Modern society is filled with multi media and if educators want to complete they have to be in the game. The presentation of the online course is as important as the contains.

I am not sure that the look (the appearance of the website, homepage, class folders...) is as important as the content/information that is being delivered. Yes, it is important for many reasons (ie.- a professional appearance is more likely to encourage a professional dialogue).

If we mean by "feel of an online course" the ease by which we are able to navigate through the content, then I would probably agree that it is as important. The learner who is unable to navigate through the lesson plans and/or unable to find material on the site will likely get frustrated and stop participating, thus no learning will be achieved.

For me, the bottom line with all learning (online or land based) is that we get out of it what we put into it.

I would agree with this statement. Currently taking my masters degree online I think it is very important to have an easy way to navigate the course. This way the students are spending less time on the navigation and more time on the content.

That is a good point. As students we are here to get the content, not worry about the technology side of things.

Sign In to comment