Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The last decade was revolutionary in terms of advanced teaching technology, and we as educators need to have a variety of technical and time-management skills that are necessary to teach successfully in technology-saturated society. I enjoy learning about innovation in the classroom and utilize tools such as podcasts, voice announcements and email, hyperactive texts and other progressive technologies.

I agree that they do not have to be technical wizards, but that does not relive them of the responsibility of understanding which technologies might have a significant impact on the visual and cognitive receptiveness of the courseware being contemplated. The rendoring of electronic media and imagery that can be viewed across the host of available software platforms in today's marketplace presents a sizeable level of complexity in understanding or predetermining what will work consistently and predictably from a students perspective. Instructional development like computer application development may actually be more art than science but it certainly comes with a substantial set of assumptions regarding the feasibility of the artwork, videos, interactive graphics, and photography working flawlessly regardless of internet provider or software platform.

I agree. I believe developers of online courses must have, at the very least, an awareness of how and what the equipment and software can do for their student's learning experience. The developers comfort level and confidence will undoubtedly increase with each successful conclusion of a course.

Kenjiro,
This is true. We need to use all types of media and sometimes that takes time to research.

Shelly Crider

Sabahudin,
Makes you wonder what the next 10 to 20 years will bring us in the change of technology!!!

Shelly Crider

Dennis,
This is true. We need to make sure that students understand what they are using as well.

Shelly Crider

Lyn,
Each time a course is offered, it only gets better with the instructor and the class itself!

Shelly Crider

In today's academic world, much of the instructional design elements for online courses have been packaged and made very user friendly (yet flexible) for the instructor. It used to be the case that online instructors needed to have quite a bit of know-how to pull together tools and make them work for their own purposes. Platforms like Blackboard make much of the "nuts-and-bolts" knowledge out of the equation so that instructors can focus more on developing their content rather than focusing on the technology itself. No longer does the online instructor need to be a wizard; however, it doesn't hurt to make internet tools and new technologies a part of professional development. The more technical awareness an instructor possesses, the more opportunities will be open to him/her to try.

Mark,
This is true and I believe we will see more and more of the packaged courses. Make sure that you add your own touch!

Shelly Crider

I agree. Modern classroom course instructors utilize many forms of basic technology (PowerPoint, Black Board etc..) in their classrooms already. The process of transferring these presentations and their formats to an online course would require little to no new technological know how.

I think that the developer must be able to understand and apply whatever technology is necessary to complete the course design process. But that does not mean they have to be technological wizards.

They must be able to grasp and apply whatever skills the students need and master the techniques to communicate to the student what is necessary to successfully pass the course.

But most courses can be developed if the designer has basic computer skills and understands the learning system that they are using.

They do need to have well developed written communication skills so the syllabus and other course materials are clear and succinct.

I agree. If I was a technical wizard, I would probably be teaching a different subject. I believe that I need to keep up with technology typical to my field so I can help my students be prepared for what they may face in a work environment. I need to understand what it takes for the students to complete the course. I need to be able to assist them with basic troubleshooting of things that might go wrong as they complete my course.

That is true. I find that there are things I learn as I go along that would have been helpful in an earlier course.

John,
Then you would have to teach your students on being a technical wizard!!

Shelly Crider

John,
Making notes each quarter is what I do best. There are times when I try something new. Sometimes it works, sometimes I strike out. I make note to why it worked or why it didn't.

Shelly Crider

I agree, as students who may not be either will be taking the class. The instructor has to think through the four steps in designing a class and follow the navigation rules of the school's program.

Whether I agree or disagree with the statement, "Developers of online courses do not have to be technological wizards" depends entirely upon how you define "developers".

If your definition of "developers" refers simply to the one or more people involved in ISD in terms of the course's required components ~ syllabus, course objectives, etc., then I would agree ~ one need not be a technological wizard for this process.

If your definition of "developers" refers to the one or more people involved in actually designing the content, layout, and formatting of the online course using available technology, then yes ~ technological wizardry may be required.

In short, I believe the course expert(s) and the tech expert(s) ~ if not already one in the same ~ should collaborate on the development of online classrooms.

I agree ~ course developers may be more faculty than technological wizard, but that fact does not relieve the course developer/facilitator of technological insight and understanding. At the pace of technological change these days, we ~ as online faculty ~ must do our best to be at least cognizant of (if not fully integrated with) those technological tools that would enhance our classroom and thus our students' shared experience toward a successful learning outcome.

Trista,
I am in favor of collaboration as well. Even if it is between instructors that teach the same subject matter.

Shelly Crider

Trista,
As a faculty/developer, you can develop to your own personality. Personality does shine through!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment