Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Past, Present, and Future Methods

What activity have you created and used in the past?

It was interesting to see some of these games, I think they would work well in small class sizes maybe not so well in groups greater than 16 or so. I haven't used this learning concept in any of the classes I have taught but I think they would be great for last day of class for reviews prior to major exams etc.

It is a great review before major exams. You might be surprised to hear I have used these activities with very large groups of 100 to 300. I even did a Jeopardy like event for 3000 at a large conference closing keynote. It was exciting and unexpected for the learners. All the best to you!

I am familiar with the crossword puzzles, I have also done a BINGO game.

Good luck with adding more activity to class and I hope your students are more engaged than ever.

I teach online, so no, I haven't used these methods in the online environment, but I have used crosswords and bingo in the in seat environment in a different class. Not well received however. The health care students that I have had, at least at that point in time, would express that they didn't like crosswords or bingo and felt they were a waste of time (no matter what I was trying). But, then they didn't like groups either. Might have to do with the type of person "nursing" appeals to.

I do a lot with H&P's that pertain to the chapter that we are studying. They usually enjoy role playing, so I will write different scenarios that can occur in an office. I will pair them up and one will be the caller(patient) other Medical Assistant. The caller will ask for a certain test(radiology or blood test) and the MA will have to correctly spell the terms and fill the correct paperwork for the test. Sometimes it can be played as Doctor and MA, or MA to MA. It is a lot of fun and they get the practice with filling out lab slips and imaging forms, etc...

Ive recently played "Medical Millionare" it was great, the students loved it!!!

Keep up the good work!

The act of simulating the real job is a great way to teach the students to think. Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

I used crosswords, bingo and jeopardy. All of these activities were in groups and they all were able to learn effectively.

Using small groups for activities make them safer for learners and offers learners a higher chance of success while teaching them to work effectively with others.

I have created board games, word games, puzzles, powerpoints they can come to the board and fill in, to name a few.

Thanks and keep up the good work of using successful interactive learning.

For chapter reviews I play a game with the students. I works like this. The students are divided into teams (3-6 students per team). each team has 30 minutes to review the material and come up with 10 multiple choice questions each. They must write the question and the answer on the page.I collect the questions and each team sets up 1 individual as the player - the others are supporters. As I read each question (the player from the team that wrote the question cannot answer) the player who puts their hand up first answers the question. If he is correct he gets the point. If not another team can answer. If the second team is incorrect then the team that wrote the question gets the point. This continues as time allows. The supporters can help the player answer the question but only what the player says counts. The students have fun and it removes anxioty if it is done before a test. The learning for the students is in the review of the material.

Scott, I love your "question bee" approach described above. I particularly like that you ask the learners to write the questions, it is a great way to get them to take ownership of the content. Interaction is the key to learning, as you demonstrated here! Thanks for sharing.

Side walk chalk in the colors of the circulatory system and have the student walk the circulatory system.

Georgeann, thanks for sharing your idea. I use a sheet on the floor and have them walk the path of cardiac circualtion, but chalk seems easier. Keep up the good work

This activity is used to teach how body language and voice inflection affect our communication skills. Students take turns being the "receptionist" or "patient" in a scenario where the patient asks the receptionist for directions to a particular office/facility. Both the "receptionist" and "patient" are given a particular voice inflection and attitude card in which they portray in drama format. The questions and response are the same every time. The voice inflection and attitude change. It can be hilarious if there are drama "queens/kings" in the class. They get the point!
I actually do create concentration games with the puzzle behind the numbers and clue cards. I use a cork bulletin board and staple the pieces on. That way all pieces can be reused. That makes it worth the effort. This is very good for review.

I love that the same words are used but different inflections. What a difference that can make! The reusable concentration props are also a great idea. Good luck in all you do, Vickie!

Sign In to comment