Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Terry, jeopardy has been successful for many of your peers. You can see their examples in the posts here.

Michele Deck

The response by using a variety of activities has greatly increased the attention span of my students! The quiz and test scores have gone up! Also, there is more communication between ALL students, not just between the "clicks"

Fallon, I'm so glad that you are seeing success and sharing that story here with us. Thanks!

Michele Deck

I think it depends on the class. With some of my classes certain games work well and other classes they are not as effective. I believe if the student is more willing to be a part of the game and enjoy the game they will be able to grasp more from it. However there is always a few that will fight being a part of the games and want nothing to do with them. They want to obtain their lecture and be able to go home.

Melissa, this happens due to differing learning styles, and personality types.

Michele Deck

I have not used many activities in the past because I had this mindset that activities were not for college student. (Oh YES I was truly wrong) I now have great responds and grades since I have been using group activities and games. I do find some student that do not like group activities but most of them I have convinced that their grade would be so much more. I truly believe engaging with my students and finding any activities to help with long term memory.
My Motto: I am here to help the student achieve their goals while I continue to learn new things

brandon, you have switched from a teacher focused classroom to a learner focused classroom, and you can see the success it brings.

Michele Deck

My class absolutely loves activities/games. I always tell my students this is a friendly game, and almost every student has a competitive side and love competing. I enjoy seeing them communicate with each other and having fun learning. When I tell the class I have a new game to play, they get happy and wonder what it might be. I have had students come up to me and have given me ideas on new games for our terminology. I believe it is essential to add activities/games in our lectures.

Stephanie, I like hearing your enthusiasm in your posting. You have seen the success in your classroom and will continue with new ideas. I applaud you!

Michele Deck

I plan to use the flip chart for my next class. In the past we have played memory and the students responded well to that.

Most of my classes seem to be very competitive so I use a lot of competitive games. I really like the baseball game going to use it for final review I believe it will go over great.

When activities are used the students appear more alert, as though they have consumed a pot of coffee! Yes, they do seem more engaged and distracted from learner tedium. I also believe that they are more likely to participate when they are enjoying the learning process.

Teresa, these are universal truths the active teachers see value in, as you do.

Michele Deck

they all get really into it, especially when there are teams and a prize involved. I hear alot of recall being addressed between team members when they are trying to come up with the correct response. The weeks that I introduce games or learning activities are the weeks that my students are in the best moods, the most engaged and score the best on their tests.

Emily, this is proof that these methods work on a variety of levels, even the emotional level of your learners.

Michele Deck

My students enjoy the change of pace. I have not had an opportunity (as we are on break) to try these activities but when the class starts next quarter, many of these are now going to be used.

My students love games, they are very competitive for the most part. I like the list of games because you have ones for all types of classes. Thank you, fresh ideas are always so great.

Great point, if we make our classes fun, retention will go up as a side effect. It will make them feel like a teamand no one want to disappoint their team.

Holly, you are welcome. I hope some of these ideas will be a part of your class next term.

Michele Deck

When you initiate group activities in the classroom it enables all the students to participate and engage in the activities especially if the winning group is awarded extra points for class participation.

Sign In to comment