Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have found that most of the students enjoy doing some kind of hands on activity to break up the lecture. It helps revive their mind. One of my favorites is Hollywood Squares. I have three students go up front and choose which Hollywood star they want to be. The students left in the class take turns one by one. They pick a celebrity and then I ask the "celebrity" a question and they can choose to answer it right or wrong. The student who called on them has to agree or disagree. If they disagree, the rule is that they have to tell why they disagree and what they think the correct answer is. I usually have a great response with this.

Jennifer, I have used a variation of Hollywood squares, too, but I have never asked for the reason why they disagree. I will use that from now on. Thanks for sharing it!

Michele Deck

jeffrey, it is amazing to me that the reward (whether points or prizes) is never the real motivation, it is the sport of competition.

Michele Deck

Hi Michelle,

I haven't had the chance to apply any of your suggested classroom activities yet but they sound very interesting & engaging. In factI was so interested about the 'Playing Baseball' activity that I bought a plastic baseball bat. I look forward to using some of these strategies in my Fundamentals class where I can incorporate some medical terms. I've also purchased one of your books during an Educator's Conference years ago and I am still using the activities in the book that I found very relevant to my class. Thank you very much!

Veronica, thank you so much for your kind words about baseball and the interactive teaching ideas I've shared. Enjoy using the ideas that will match with your content.

Michele Deck

Students love the games, can get very competitive and stay engaged in the activity, and like getting the small candy prizes at the end.

My co-worker and I made up an activity that involved using a baby pool, a cane pole and index cards, and magnets. We cut the index cards into fish shapes and put terms on the cards and a magnet on each fish along with a magnet on the cane pole string. They would catch a fish and either match up terms or explain terms or make up words. They enjoyed it along with remembering their prefixes, suffixes and root words.

I typically see a positive response. Students like to break up the monotony of lecture. Also, these game usually make the "light bulb" go off!

Margaret, involvement encourages the students to think and remember better than just listening to a lecture.

Michele Deck

I have found the ball toss really effective as it is easy to set up, easy to manage, and can really spice of the whole enviornment of the class.

Jennifer, I'm glad this idea has added energy and spice to your teaching.

Michele Deck

They enjoy the different activities and find it easier to understand.

i used a couple of the game ideas with good success. Always to get them learners up out of the chairs and moving around. If they are having fun the positive emotions will reinforce the material

Darrin, thank you for sharing your success with the activity and game ideas. I know your students will benefit from your efforts.

Michele Deck

My students were so focused on the exact wording of the terminology, that i decided to give the the exact definitions in the crossword puzzles. That frees up time in class to discuss the practical application of each word rather than be focused on the exact wording.

Julie, this is a great way to look at crossword puzzles, because they are a valuable teaching tool.

Michele Deck

So far we have not used activities and although I am enthusiastic to try some, I am also a little concerned. We have a number of serious, analytical types who may not take to a games atmosphere. I have copied down the phrase from the first module about "an adult learning activity that will assure you 90 percent retention of the material in 30 days."

Gail, it is best to quote that statistic and explain the rationale for why you are using a "learning activity" when teaching analytical types of people. Start with a low risk activity and work your way into longer, more fun ones.

Michele Deck

Some of the students did not want to engage in the game starting off, but after playing the game for a few minutes, they became more involved on their own.

Ebony, sometimes it takes the more analytical learners longer to see the learning benefits of games, but when they do it is a great strategy.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment