Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree with you 100%

Jennifer, it is important to model to the learners the process of how to fix a mistake, and that everyone will at some point, make a mistake on the job.

Michele Deck

I like to teach the students using interesting techniques for them so they can retain the concepts and explanations and applied later , for example brain storm and graphics , I have learned from several groups of students this type of techniques works really well for them .

Liset , if you are not this type of learner yourself, it is sometimes hard to see value in different methods. It's great that you are seeking learner feedback on what works for a diversity of learners.

Michele Deck

I agree with many of the comments previously made on this topic. I think I make my classes interesting, but it would be nice to be a student and see whether that is true or not. Of course, I do get some feedback from course evaluations done by students, which lets me know to some extent what works.

I LOVE the idea of having students compete to get dismissed 5 minutes early from class. I'm going to try that soon!

Susan, this is indeed a reward most students would actively compete for with great enthusiasm.

Michele Deck

Based on the monthly student surveys, I feel I would like to be a learner in my own class because I keep the students engaged. Most of my students are visual learners, the helpful activities I use in class are evident in my students test grades. I make sure I include all learning styles in my daily presentations.

Denise, if you can see success in your students outcomes, then you would be a happy student in your own class.

Michele Deck

I love learning new information and I tend to gobble it up. It would be good to be a learner in my own class to feel the passion of an instructor that really wants to share knowledge not just get through another lecture. The purpose of a classroom is growth as well as learning and I like the class to share what has impacted them. So as a student I want to be involved in that interchange.

Martha, asking your learners to share the impact of what they have learned is a powerful strategy. It connects to personal relevance of your lessons and mental connections, which are critical to adult learning.

Michele Deck

become a better instructor with each class you teach, but well worth the effort.

Carmen, it is an investment in yourself, your students and your career path to do what you have described here.

Michele Deck

I would want to be a student in my class, because I feel I am a great clinical instructor. I have a variety of ways of doing and explaining the same subject for my students who dont learn the same way. I engage the students curiosity

nicole, you are wise to use curiosity. It is a powerful adult motivator.

Michele Deck

I find that trying something new on a regular basis to "shake" things up works best for me in the respect that I never want to get or appear bored with my topic/s I teach. I have been called an edutainer. I believe in captivating an audience and using my bag of tricks to engage every student. I am always looking for new learning experiences to help me grow. I know that students are not the same & different approaches may be used to assist them in becoming successful.

Lori, you are indeed a smart and talented educator. Please continue to find ways to engage your learners in the process of learning.

Michele Deck

My class is very interactive to help students understand the concepts. Each week is a new topic and a new method of facilitating the class. I have high energy level class sessions and incoporate as much student participation as possible. There are times when I allow them to work with their friends but for the most part, they are placed with other people in the room. I even use creative methods to assign random teams. There is a competitive edge to using games and Turning Technology while discussing topics.

Monica,thank you for offering us a glimpse of your classes and why they are successful. Please continue your positive approaches.

Michele Deck

When we assume the role as learner in our class, it allows a more comfortable, stress free environment for the students to learn in. The students will feel comfortable engaging in learning activities without feeling as if they are being constantly evaluated by the instructor.

Luisa, I agree. We must be lifelong learners ourselves for a variety of reasons.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment