Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

maricar, yes, it has the potential for each of us to examine our behaviors and effectiveness.

Michele Deck

I would want to see how I am presenting myself. It would be like practicing in a mirror.

I think I could learn a lot from myself and I would want to see how others would perceive me.

Troy, wouldn't it be interesting to see how each of us is perceived? I'd like that opportunity also.

Michele Deck

I would want to be a learner in your my classes because I feel I am engaging and use different teaching methods to appeal to the learner. I also provide lectures in advance and post them on a student portal to aid in class discussions. I enjoy bringing games into the classroom and encourage critical thinking.

Donna, you are smart in using your "live class time" for discussion and giving students those notes they can read ahead of time.

Michele Deck

I like to supplement my lectures with working in the field stories. The students seem to better understand the content when they can place an actual event with the topic. It also holds their attention and keeps them motivated to learn more. I would like to be a learner in a class that gives me actual real-life and current information.

Amber, relating real life experiences in class can direct students to the relevance of what they are learning.

Michele Deck

If I were a learner in my own classes, I could see which classes were more memorable and which ones I could improve on. I find it easier to teach classes in a laboratory setting where students are highly involved and are enjoying learning. I sometimes struggle trying to make other subjects more exciting and memorable for the students. I definitely have experienced some of the examples given of students who are not engaged in class.

therese, it is more of a challenge to find ways to involve students in lecture classes, but is essential.

Michele Deck

Because it makes you a better instructor to accept that you don't know everything but you are always willing to learn more.

Being a learner in my own class gives me a perspective that I wouldn't have if I just continue teaching with only one point of view of the course work. As the learner, I get insight to my own strengths and weaknesses.

Additionally, I need to be open to what I can learn from students not just about teaching styles and techniques, but about the cultural and environmental influences affecting my students.

Taryn, being a learner in your own class does offer a number of different perspectives.

Michele Deck

I believe that the learners in our classes can teach us how they learn if we pay attention to them and their own non-verbal responses to what we say and do in class...

Same for me. I always use the word "think". When we learn a new term I will have the students look up ways to use the word. Once it's used in a sentence, it sticks.

I would want to be a learner in my class because I teach medical coding and it is very interactive. We also do coding activities in teams with incentives to the winning team such as leaving 5 minutes earlier than other students who did not win.

James, I agree. The instructor has to be a great observer, listener and assessor to pick up on this.

Michele Deck

Jacqueline, I think your students will actively compete to win five minutes of their time back. This sounds like a successful idea, thanks for sharing it.

Michele Deck

We should always evaluate students by asking questions after the lecture.

Your research and own ideas enhance your credibility.

Sign In to comment