Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Because I captivate my students in the first few minutes of the class. I make it very interesting and easy to understand. I use humor whenever possible.

Aleatha, it is a talent to be able to create spontaneous humor in class. Your students benefit from this talent.

Michele Deck

I just completed my first quarter of classroom instruction. Normally I am at our clinical site with our students, not in the instructor capacity. I think I would want to be a learner in my own class, because I try to appeal to all different types of learners. I use exercises, videos, lectures and real life examples to keep my lectures interesting. I teach A&P, however, I teach the course specific to surgical technology. Therefore, it's very easy when lecturing anatomy and/or systems, to demonstrate procedures that the student might see during their externship. I field questions, and approach the subject from all aspects. Mostly scientific in nature, but sometimes I am able to put the personal spin on it. Furthermore, I can actualize it by describing the steps of the procedures, or even describe things that I have witnessed when I was working in the field. I do notice my students taking on the "bombie" look from time to time, but that's when I know I need to shake things up and re-ignite the interest in the subject matter!

Stacey, after hearing your description of your classes, I would like to attend them, also. Your list of approaches sounds fun and engaging.

Michele Deck

I would like to be a learner in my own classes for two reasons. First, I try to be very self-reflective of my instruction and activities to maximize future lessons and having a student point of view would be helpful (trying to decrease my emotional connection). Secondly, to participate in a class that encourages diversity of learning and goes against the "traditional/stereotypical" lecture based class would be refreshing.

Stacie, in your post you say that you use nontraditional methods. I would like to attend your class and experience those, too.

Michele Deck

Students love to be able to share information with the class. Many of my students have actual work experience and share situations when certain things worked for them. They enjoy being able to share information with me as well. I am always open to learning. I even ask them questions and ask them to research something further to share the next class.

Catherine, you have the attitude of a lifelong learner, which is a valuable gift to your learners. You know how it feels to keep learning even though you are not the student. They are lucky to have you!

Michele Deck

Because, last time I checked I wasn't omniscient. I don't know or remember everything. Being open to what your students have to say and learning from them can teach me something new or better.

Heidi, you might be surprised to meet some instructors who think they know everything. hankfully, teaching keeps most people humble.

Michele Deck

I would like to be a learner in my classroom for a variety of reasons. One I genuinely care about my students and value them as people and value them as colleagues. Furthermore, I provide what I call a layering method to teaching. I give them reading assignments before my class that requires them to read the book and answer a substantial amount of questions PRIOR to the lecture. Then they receive my lecture which is loaded with videos and educational power points. My students all have Anatomy Coloring books that they are required to do that cover the topics in class. We finish the material with graded assignments and labs. So they students are subjected to this material more than 6 times in my class helping to create a layering of information using different parts of their brain and body to learn and remember this information.

Ryan, I wish I was a learner in your class myself. I love your approach and its vareity. Thank you for sharing.

Michele Deck

I would want to be a learner in my own class because I need to learn my students on how they are learning the materials and at what rate.

Equanda, it would give you insight as well as experience as to how learners feel.

Michele Deck

Everyone can always learn more. There have been situations where a student has informed the class of a certain experience they have encountered & I have learned a few things.

Wendy, life experience truly is a golden resource for learning. We show that we value everyone's experience when we ask our learners to share theirs.

Michele Deck

My learning style may be fun and exciting to me but the some of the students may not feel the same. I want to be able to connect with most of them and if I were a student I could better understand what I may be lacking in some more than others. I need to see me from their perspective and be able to build on the negatives and the positives.

I teach the same class at least 3 times a year. Every time I give the class I learn what does and does not engage the students. This gives me the information I need to tweak my presentations so I can connect with all types of learners.

I bring a lot of passion and energy to my teaching, both in the classroom and clinical.

I strive to create an engaging learning experience and try to remember the topics I struggled with in nursing school.

Also, I am tough but fair. Students always know where they stand with me and can count on me to be consistent and follow the policies of the program. I don't play favorites and I hold everyone to the same standards.

I always appreciated the instructors who pushed me to be better, and I know I am exactly that kind of instructor.

I am still a practicing nurse and I'm back in the classroom for the first time in over 30 years! I, too, have found that the stories of my personal experiences in the field really catch the students' attention. When I see that glazed look come over their faces, I know it's time to reinforce the concepts I'm teaching with another tale!

Sign In to comment