Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creative Teaching Strategy

What creative teaching strategy have you or your peers used in a clinical or on-the-job setting that has reinforced content and skills learned in class?

Only thing I have really done is have an open discussion with my externship students on the day they come in for their review class. I have them tell me about anything interesting or anything they had a problem with during that week. Then we discuss these issues as a class and talk about them.

Heather, open discussion is a good strategy as it helps students critically think through what they have encountered in a work situation. Maybe this course can provide you with a new idea to try,

Quickie cases these one-slide or overhead cases
provide real-world application of content without
taking up much time. Students are asked to consider
a case study with limited data. Quickie cases provide
a segue into new topics, reinforce complex
prototypes of conditions, and relate clinical cases to
didactic content

Real world application is an important step in getting them to think critically. Keep up the good work!

I have a blank documentations sheet used by the facility that I give to each student. Each student will need to pick one of the residents as their "own" and will complete the patient sheet according to their assessement and skills done on the patient.

This is a great practice technique and will be relevant to the learners. Good idea. Thanks for sharing it.

I use index cards with "drs orders" & have the students complete the task as they will do in an office setting.

Index card orders offer real world practice, thanks for sharing your ideas with us.

I agree wholeheartedly. I use the same strategy in my clinical nursing settig and find it most effective. This approach allows the students to apply their didactic learning to the clinical setting.
Mariann U

I have used the patterns of thinking activity and the weakest link activity. Both work effectively in the clinical nursing arena.
Mariann U

Mariann, I am glad to hear that you have used those 2 activities with success in the clinical arena. I hope this course offers you some other activities that will help your students learn.

I will be using the ABG strategy and the Cpr strategy also.
Mariann U

I have and will continue to use the index card trick. I have different scenarios written on them to see if they are quick thinkers. This also gives the ability to have the other students see what their peer will do and have the opportunity to comment on their answers.
I believe everyone can learn from someone so this allows them to have open discussion.

Ramon, using something as simple as index cards can re-energize your learners and reinforce content.

One of the instructors that I work with has the students practice writing orders. She will give the students a verbal order and they need to write it and then she critques it.

This is a wonderful idea also. By involving the students in this activity, you are simulating real on the job activity. Thanks for sharing.

Using the students themselves to trace the GI system. One being the food, all the way through with each student representing a part of the anatomy as they track the food through.

Great idea, Martha. It would be nice to assign those parts to groups of students and have everyone involved.

we write case scenarios on index cards, then during practical exams the student picks one, has 2-3 minutes to decide what interventions are needed and to prepare for that "patient", and then perform the intervention(s) and be able to defend his/her choice to the instructor for the grade.

Sign In to comment