Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would like to think that my students have the ability to encorporate serrvice learning when they take the skills they learned in the classroom when they chose to work on their own and other's motorcycles. 

Knowing the student and the site will help you to determine if this is a good fit for both the student and the site at the same time.

This was a fabulous section. I was particularly interested in the portion regarding students learning advocacy. It's an area I've touched on in the past, but going in-depth on the topic and what kinds of advocacy students learn during service learning was enlightening. I'll probably create a lecture around it!

"Community service has been a part of American culture since the beginning of this country. Individuals of all ages come together to help each other and their community for the betterment of all. History has recorded many different examples of how community service activities helped to insure the survival and growth of local governments and their residents." This means that community service is a proven and necessary part of our culture.

Service learing opportunities in the community provides students an avenue of application of classroom instruction. It takes creativity and problem solving and can enhance the learning for the students by working with real people with real problems. 

Introduce Service learning as a way to get students to interact.

I loved this module. it really helps the students to extend themselves. to also look out for the interest of others. With the student having hands on it requires the to think in order tp complete their projects.

Service learning gets the students involved in the community in a real world environment. it also helps the student to feel like an active contributor to their community, developing a connection or relationship to the community. Additionally the student is learning to work as a contributor and sustainer of that community experiencing personal growth and learning.

I volunteer to teach fourth graders how to develop school projects, how to attract and engage other students into doing extracurricular activities, as well as how to contribute to the local community, i.e. at the athletic center during the weekends after the soccer games by helping coaches set up and then clean up the play fields. 

Service Learning is an important part of the classroom.

Service learning is a constant part of my program. helping the community and letting the students see the real world application give them a rewarding experience

The idea of participants to generate their own project ideas is good.  Creating instant buy-in and takes full advantage of their pasion for to work towards an outcome they deem valuable. 

I teach in a vocational school environment in the Medical Office Administration program.  It is essential that students learn to be critical thinkers as the medical field is very busy.  Students will be multitasking which also requires them to be active listeners.  

Problem solving is task that needs to be taught and reinforced.  

It is a wonderful idea for participants to come up with their own project ideas. generating immediate buy-in and making the most of their passion for working toward a result they think desirable.

Direct and indirect service learning projects will benefit both the students and the community.

I am 1 of the instructors at a South Florida HVAC trade school. I am grateful to have this position since graduation. I get to meet a new group every few months from all walks of life. Some hands on and some not. Being a good person is a key to there success i tell them. If they take what we teach them and engage in life and all the opportunities around them with the knowledge they now have its a winning combination. So, being a overall good person and working with your family, friends and community plus a good reputation is the start of building a great brand/name in the future. Don't burn bridges. #givingback #grateful #humble

I encourage my students to volunteer at local outreach programs that provide dental services.

Will be a great additional tool

I teach in a practical nursing program.  The students come from a variety of backgrounds an each brings a unique set of ideas about community needs and potential projects.  In addition to classroom time, the students attend a clinical learning component at a local hospital.  The students are a rich resource for gaining knowledge of local community service projects.

Sign In to comment