Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I teach a night class for the community.

The importance of service learning spans across all educational disciplines and should be incorporated into the curriculum.

Service learning allows students to apply what they have learned in classroom/lab and transfer those skills to a real-life setting. This engages students with members of the community, builds relationships, and enhances professional development skills in a practical, hands-on way. 

Service learning is an important aspect of our lives and culture. It's a valuable approach to learning that benefits students and the community. 

Teaching and demonstrating the effectiveness of reach out programs, community health, networking, and engaging in the community is a positive educational experience for all types of students. This approach allows a well rounded educational experience.

I teach at a District career and technology center. I have our local animal shelter bring in dogs and cats for spaying or neutering. The students assist during surgery, monitor anesthesia, and give injections.

I teach adults in a post high school facility and many just go with the flow, getting them out in the community helps them see the 'other side' so to speak and shows them if they really want to continue on the path they choose, Vet med-. Not all will want to do farm calls and likewise for those who want to work in a practice where the animals come to them.

Sign In to comment