Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Introduction to ChatGPT | Origin: ED148

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

ChatGPT and Its Educational Uses --> Introduction to ChatGPT

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

ChatGPT can suggest creative ways to engage students based on what they are learning, making the classroom more dynamic.

I have used ChatGPT to help with creating objectives and simple reviews of material. I make sure to review the material to ensure accuracy.

This module has deepened my understanding of how artificial intelligence, and tools like ChatGPT in particular, are transforming the educational landscape. I learned that AI is neither a threat to be avoided nor a solution to be adopted uncritically, but a tool whose value depends on how intentionally we integrate it into teaching and learning. One of the most important insights for me was recognizing both its potential to personalize learning, support research, and provide immediate feedback, and its limitations, including biased outputs, fabricated information, and the risk of students relying on it instead of developing their own reasoning. Moving forward, I intend to apply these lessons by redesigning some of my course activities so that students use ChatGPT transparently as a starting point for inquiry, then critically evaluate and verify its responses against scholarly sources. I also plan to establish clear guidelines on the ethical and responsible use of AI in my classes, so that students learn to treat it as an ally that enhances, rather than replaces, their critical thinking and academic integrity. I look forward to reading how my peers are approaching these challenges in their own contexts

How do you use AI in your research setting!

I present students with case studies. Something like, "Your patient presents with hypertension, history of angina, and had a stroke two years ago. He presents for scaling and root planing of maxillary teeth. What anesthetic would you use and what's the best treatment plan for this patient?" I might ask the students to come up with original answers first, then ask ChatGPT. It's a good way to compare and contrast answers.

This module reinforced that supporting students with disabilities is rooted in law, Section 504, the Rehabilitation Act, and the ADA all shape what schools are required to provide, but a lot of it also comes down to mindset. Person first thinking, treating accommodations as normal rather than exceptions, and building flexibility into lessons from the start all help create a more accepting classroom.

This was such an interesting module. I learned so much about the nuances of ChatGPT and what this whole neural network architecture is. At the same time, knowing about the limitations of ChatGPT was also useful. I would like to keep learning about this wonderful tool and expect to make my teaching better through the use of ChatGPT and for the benefit of my students.  

AI seems to me like a massive lake that fed by several non-stop rivers. Every day, a new information and /or apps related to AI. AI become a major tool in most of life aspects especially in education. Therefore, we, as Instructors, should pay more cautions to what to share with our students.    

I learned the AI is not going away and the more we learn about its benefits. We can become better educatirs

One thing I took away from this module is that AI isn't just changing the tools we use; it’s changing how we approach teaching and learning. It challenged me to think more intentionally about designing assignments that encourage analysis, creativity, and authentic communication. Moving forward, I want to create activities where students can use AI to support their learning while still demonstrating their own ideas, judgment, and professional communication skills.

While ChatGPT does have limitations, there are many areas that ChatGPT can benefit us in many ways. I'm always looking for innovative ways to interact with students in my online courses. ChatGPT may be able to help me come up with ideas and solutions  with course development.

I learned the difference between Siri and ChatGPT. One use of ChatGPT presented was mental health support services. This concerns me. Since it cannot read emotions, the state of the caller may be missed. Having served on an emergency line in the past, moments matter in getting and/or sending help to a caller.

I plan to use AI to create new content based on existing technologies and information. Through this course, I have learned that even when AI cannot fully assist with a specific topic, it is still a valuable tool for organizing ideas, identifying patterns, and bringing clarity to complex or messy information.

Chat is a great tool for generating ideas and understanding complicated topics. However, it lacks emotion and is based off of data.

ChatGPT can be a valuable tool for brainstorming ideas, creating lesson plans, writing assessments, improving communications and saving time on routine tasks.  While this is a great tool to have, reviewing the content it provides is also a necessary step. 

 I have learned that Chat GPT needs fact checking.  It can be used to help generate idea, brainstorming and finding relevant information.  You can use it to help write lesson plans or find test questions.

As I have mentioned before, Maryann Wolf's work is an integral part of helping student writers appreciate how literacy and  neurology work together. As I read through this module, I stopped and noted the "neural network architecture" of ChatGPT and at the central understanding of how language works. This aspect validated my decision to include "Proust and the Squid" as required reading for my class.

GPT has been a tool educators can use to their advantage.  We use it on a daily bases and now it's time to use it to help enhance your students learning.

Señalaba que el uso de la IA permite desarrollar la retroalimentación de los foros formativos, también brindar una retroalimentación efectiva, si brindamos instrucciones claras a la IA podemos obtener mejores respuestas, ello dependerá de como entrenemos a nuestra IA, o incluso crear una IA generativa, como por ejemplo GEM de Gemini IA.

Sign In to comment