Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have used ChatGPT in class to offer students ways to organize and get started with their writing. Sometimes students use the platform to give them ideas for ways to develop their argument or to ask for direction with where to look for good research on a topic. It is not without its pitfalls, though, and I worry about what a technology like this being available for them does to their ability to push through hard moments and have the grit and tenacity to keep trying to find answers to their questions or help with their writing wen they are stuck. 

I like the idea of a tutoring feature for students.

Educators can leverage ChatGPT in their curriculum creatively. For example, instructors may ask their students to utilize ChatGPT to generate ideas on how to start a certain group project. 

One positive about ChatGPT is it allows educators and students to generate working ideas. On the flip side, humans can rely on ChatGPT to think for them and, therefore, eliminates the thinking process for educators and students.

I will use ChatGPT to look for information on the subject being studied in class. 

I need to open my mind to some positive uses for ChatGPT. As a writing teacher, thus far I have just been concerned with students using ChatGPT to produce papers. I suppose this tool could be used to offer alternative modes of learning for students struggling to grasp certain concepts. 

I have used it to creat presentations and assessments.

I knew most of the information that was presented. However, it inspired me to look for new ways to use GPT in my courses.

This is a very useful module talking about the drawbacks and limitations of ChatGPT while other sources do not mention these aspects that much.

I typically encourage students to use google and wikipedia to start their research on a topic with the admonishment those two tools are not valid references in an academic paper.  

Start with google, locate a wikipedia article to get a background o the topic and gain an understanding of the jargon related to the topic. Then back to google to research further areas suggested by the wikipedia article. The references at the end of the wikipedia article and the additional research prompted by the article often provide a solid basis for starting a paper.

The students can now add ChatGPT as a research tool and the combination of the three should help assess/evaluate/verify the information ChatGPT provides.

I feel that Chat GPT could be used to answer some more basic questions about certain parts of some curriculums. 

ChtGPT has many uses: It can be used for tutoring students, writing assistance, looking up books, journals, gaming and many more things. 

Sign In to comment