Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Pamela,

MyItLab is a great tool to have as it relates to realistic simulated training exercises. Also being able to get immediate feedback is a plus. This has become a great feature for IT programs to provide hands on learning. Continued success using MyITLab

Antoine Lewis

I use overhead projector for my lecture. I also use ExamView technology for my exams: multiple choice, T/F, and matching. Thanks to my publisher, the test bank comes with the instructor resources.

Qadar,

Overhead projectors are still a valuable classroom technology. In today's classroom the chalkboard is a thing of the past. The projector always for you to display various images making better use of class time.

Antoine Lewis

I use power point and have just started using prezzi a little bit. i am in the process of getting websites built for the classes i teach so that students can access the information from a tablet or smart phone. putting all of that in front of the staudents in a form they are familiar with will help keep them interested and motivated.

Jason,

Prezi is great alternative to PowerPoint as both students and teachers have become less amused with traditional presentations. Prezi allows for active learning to take place making learning interactive. This is a great tool while in or outside of the classroom to teach without boundaries.

Antoine Lewis

I want to expose my students to as much professional pastry work as possible, so I show them photos or videos of what industry professionals are doing on a daily basis. I usually give no more than one "powerpoint lecture" per week to avoid PPT fatigue, and I really like to get the students engaged by breaking them into groups to do a quick topic or photo search on their phones -- it's amazing what they can find in a short 2-3 minute search and they LOVE being able to use their phones in class.

Dorothy,

PPT fatigue can happen if PPT is not used as needed in the classroom. Using audio and visual aid in other ways is valuable to student today because of the many learning styles they have. Case studies and group discussion helps increase student engagement. A good mixer in the classroom keeps things interesting.

Antoine Lewis

I teach a combination of Design Lab and theory courses. Technology is intrinsic in what I do, aand is actually considered to be the norm to the majority of my students. I have been teaching for a long time, and my personal evolution in expanding the classroom. Social media assignments such as using pinterest or providing structured internet research assignments (where sources are evaluated) have helped keep students engaged and provide them opportunities to do assignments when they at unconventional times (on break from work, or on the train).

This helps keep technology from becoming a crutch, and I still am a strong beliver in whiteboards and traditional delivery methods in conjunction with technology to provide and organic learning mode. Keeping your lectures fresh is always a challenge when you implement technology and can be a trap when the same presentations are used term after term.

Ron,

Traditional teaching methods are effective and will never go away, but our students today have many different learning styles. Using social media (audio and visual aid) helps with increased participation. Many students need to find reading a text and lectures are very helpful but being able use technology they have or that is not overwhelming can increase engagement.
Antoine Lewis

I teach mostly film and video classes. We use an overhead projector and we have two large screen TVs (client monitors) to both front-sides of the classroom using a Blackmagic Intensity HDMI card in order to show real time video and effects.

Without the overhead, students the learning outcomes would slow tremendously, especially in complex programs such as AVID and Adobe After Effects. For example; In one class, the projector would not display my screen, so I actually taught the class without visuals. We accomplished about a 1/3 of my lesson plan that day. Visuals for technology based courses is imperative.

For when I'm lecturing, PowerPoint is used on video screens. Some movies/short clips are used when applicable to the subject. One rule of mine though - Technology is good, until it isn't. Have a backup and always be prepared to teach the old fashioned way.

I am a fan of using technology in the classroom. I use student polls, clickers and anything else that's available.

Powerpoint...ugh, I know!  However, I must mention that my slides are heavily graphic and usually serve as a visual support for what I am sharing through discussions.  I also have a selection of video links for each class to supportive material that reinforces or explains a concept.  We also have a student portal that allows the students to access assignments, grades, feedback, etc.

I use several UTUBE clips and Kahn academy .

Sign In to comment