Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

David,

This is a great thing you are doing. Show the students how to research and find reputable resources on their devices that will benefit them academically. Best to enforce personal time on those devices will be allowed during break or not prohibited.

Antoine Lewis

I use test Gen program in creating my test and also I use Turnitin program to check students’ papers for plagiarism. I use the power point in my lectures and also many students use this technology to present their project or class work.

Ali,

PowerPoint is a great tool and students often enjoy presenting work in different ways other than MS Word. I feel Turnitin or Grammarly is a great tool and investment for students and teachers a like to provide quality papers and feedback.

Antoine Lewis

I use PowerPoint during classroom lecture and our textbooks come with websites and/or CDs for study links and resources. I also use Engrade for online grading and to keep in touch with my students.

Gina,

I appreciate that many textbooks now provide extra resources such as a CD-ROM. Being able to grade and provide quality feedback while also keeping in touch with students is key today especially in a virtual setting. Lastly PowerPoint is popular amongst faculty but it is important that it used as a resources to assist in teaching the course.

Antoine Lewis

I am pretty new at adding technology into my classes. I have mastered how to create power points, also been dabbling in making smart board presentations and activities. In my classes I encourage my students to use the internet to research certain topics. These types of activities help the students to get visual conformation of what they are learning.

Most classrooms have a digital projector, which I can usually hook up to a computer that's networked to the school, so I can display slideshows, access to YouTube videos, pictures, and even bring up documents related to the class (sometimes printed material just goes unread) so I can remind students about exercises, deadlines, project descriptions, etc.

I've also been using a Google related site that's formatted to be useful for the classroom. That way I can make announcements, repeat the slideshows, and even include deadline countdowns. Any time a student has a question that should have been on a weekly handout that they lost, they can go to the website to get the same information.

I've also invited students to a DropBox that has a folder for documents, slideshows, and an Inbox that they and I can see.

The most useful system that I've started to use is to give the students their own week-based system of folders that they can drop off work on the school server. Now it's their responsibility to scan and drop off their artwork so they won't complain that they think my taking snapshots is causing their work to get lost. I can use the Mac OS "smart folder" to collate their work in a list so I can collect all the image files weekly.

For grading, I've built an Excel spreadsheet that can do a mailmerge with Word so I can print reports, and I mostly use iPhoto to act as a database for the images and use the info window as a place to drop text.

Lots of moving parts, but I've tried to simplify this as much as possible. I really wish the school had some kind of portal system that the students, teachers, and admin could access that would allow all of this to have "less moving parts".

How did you enable a gradebook that the students could have access to? My Excel spreadsheet is rather a big kitchen sink of data and I have no idea how I can have individual students interact with it in a meaningful way.

Thanks,

MT

Dale, I would be interested in hearing how you are able to have an Excel spreadsheet that provides student feedback. If they are able to share the document, how do you ensure privacy?

I do a PowerPoint “Game Show Review” by using Microsoft PowerPoint to create review games based on famous game shows, including “Jeopardy!,” “The Weakest Link,” and “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?” also A web quest by guiding students to search the Internet for specific information. For example, students are asked to serve as patient safety program inspectors. They must search the Internet to determine what artifacts belong in their facility and explain their choices to overcome the problems

Carrie,

Using classroom technology is important and our students are technologically savvy. Using video, ppt, and showing how to research reputable information on the web keeps a class interesting.

Antoine Lewis

Mark,

Institutions that provide digital projectors is a great tool as it relates to classroom technology. It allows you to meet the needs of various learning styles. Also the DropBox feature is one that more should take advantage of as you can share information outside of the class and students can refer to it as they see fit. Good job taking advantage of excel also I use it to prepare my grading rubrics for each assignment.

Antoine Lewis

Mark,

This is a great question Mark because of privacy laws you do not want students to see comments regarding other students.

Antoine Lewis

Mark,

I would filter by name and send them just their information separately. One way might be to use the students ID number only and not their name.

Antoine Lewis

Ibrahim,

Taking games that are popular and use the content from the course to play the game is a good tool and taking advantage of the technology Microsoft provides is a plus. Using technology to get the student motivated and participating is the ultimate goal.

Antoine Lewis

I use PowerPoint presentations to review course content and to provide a visual learning situation for students.

I encourage students to use the "Turn-In " process, However much of the homework students complete in our coursework in self-quiz or open answer exercises.

Joe,

Power Point presentations are a great tool. Visual aid is important today for many student. Even as you lecture being able to provide visual or audio help in the learning process.

Antoine Lewis

Joe,

Using Turnitin or Grammarly is a great tool for students if offered by the institutions. Also open ending question are great to use when completing assignments or having classroom discussion as the response will not be predictable.

Antoine Lewis

I use technology in most of the classes I teach, for the MS Office classes, I use myitlab. This is an online simulation, training, exam taking software. It also allows students to practice for MOS certification exams. for A+, Network+, and Security+, I use TestOut.com. It provides the students with video lessons, and real world simulations to demonstrate and practice what they have learned about concepts for the certification exams that they are studying for. I also use email, an online gradebook, and cloud storage. Students can login to the gradebook and see their grades, they can also message me through the online interface. We use dropbox.com also, some of the work is turned in to a shared folder that I set up for students, and it gives each of them a place to store their work in a safe and secure location that is available through any computer via an internet connection. There are other technologies we use also, too numerous to explain, including youtube.com, texting, and social media.

I find technology to be invaluable in the delivery of my classes. It gives students real world practice with the technology and software they will be using when they graduate.

Sign In to comment