Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Kathryn,

I have checked out jeroo and it has some valuable activities for students.

Antoine Lewis

In our all of classroom on our campus we have a LCD projector. I teach many computer application class; Microsoft Office 2010 Word, Excel, and a beginning computer class which all Office 2010 applications are utilized. The LCD gives me the opportunity for to project the lesson and lecture over the unit at the same time.
Using this technology engage the students of all learning styles.

Karen,

MS Office 2010 is a course that needs to be offered more often in my opinion. An LCD projector is indeed a useful tool for the classroom. This type of projector gets even those reluctant learners involved with the lesson.

Antoine Lewis

I agree, in fact we have several application classes for MSO 2010: Word, Excel, Access, and then a beginning class that I teach the basic of Word, Excel, PPT.

Karen,

Awesome - I know Access can be a tough application to grasp

Antoine Lewis

The MyMathLab is an excellent resource for the student as well as the teacher! It provides help tools for the student in doing their homework. It provides immediate assessment of their performance and gives the opportunity to try problems multiple times. Also, timed quizzes and tests and exams can be taken. The disadvantage is that the student can use a spouse or friend to help take the test if this is being done at home or away from school. In class tests should accompany to ensure that the student is getting the material and not totally using other means to score well. What are you thoughts on this?

I have returned to teaching after 20 years, so the change from overhead projector to power point was relatively easy. I have yet to incorporate video==that's next on my education bucket list. I do fine that I stay "on track" better ifI use power point. What I have my biggest gripe about is the varied pieces of equipment in every classroom. Some days they work; some days not.

What complicates technology for me is I am very proficient on a MAC and I have to live in a PC world. PC's are just clunky.

Oh well.

Jim,

I like the fact that MyMathLab gives instant feedback to students and tells them which questions were right and wrong. I do agree that ethically you have to worry about dishonesty taking place when taking exams away from the classroom

Antoine Lewis

Edward ,

Your experience is often more valuable than they technology itself in the classroom. Technology is great but we often rely on it more than we should as we forget how to utilize other teaching methods. Good luck adjusting to using a PC.

Turn your presentation into a video:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint-help/turn-your-presentation-into-a-video-HA010336763.aspx

Antoine Lewis

I agree that it is important to consider the learning goal you are trying to achieve when selecting technology for the classroom. Power Point, You Tube, Virtual Simulations and Videos are the technology that I use most in the classroom. We also have simulator manequins which help with clinical and laboratory practice.

zedeva,

Medical simulation mannequins are great, and are widely used in medical field. In my first aid course while in undergraduate school it was used to demonstrate methods of giving CPR.

Antoine Lewis

I use powerpoint but not too often. I videos more frequently. I have my class view webinars and tutorials. I have used camcorders to record things that we have done in the class as a whole.

Zelda,

PowerPoint is better now that you can record your voice if your computer has speakers, and a microphone. Webinars are my favorite as you can present information over the internet. I like that I can save, edit and record if needed.

Antoine Lewis

I use Powerpoint to present lecture material and include mpeg or avi's or animated gifs to support written material. Still using VHS as well as DVD media. My students are encouraged to access the internet for research projects and assignments and many take notes on their laptops/tablets in class. They can also SMS and MMS text me questions at any time (even on weekends) to get answers to questions that arise or to share some new info they've discovered!

B.,

It is awesome that you are introducing technology in the classroom and that students are taken it upon themselves to do the same. Being able to text you the instructor is valuable when working on course material outside the classroom and still get quality feedback.

Antoine Lewis

Currently, I use a combination of the Internet with a database vendor, which provides students access to a variety of materials, mostly journals, which can be searched by keyword, author, title, subject, etc. These materials are basic research materials that I don't have to worry about being reliable, trustworthy, accurate materials as the students can narrow the searches to include those types of things which are peer-reviewed and considered primary research materials These would be considered accurate, from people in the field, and fully-researched for factual accuracy..
I am beginning to integrate some powerpoint and LCD usage in workshops at a slower pace until I become more proficient. I do project DVDs and CDs using the interface of a computer and LCD Projector, presently.
I have used an overhead project for a couple of decades. The technology has improved and the fact that it can be altered as you present is an important feature which is very beneficial in the learning process.

Frances,

It is good to know that you are taking advantage of the technology that is available to you. Students today often prefer not to be lectured and also like have material they can refer back to once they leave the classroom if possible.

Antoine Lewis

I use a laptop with powerpoint. On my presentations I display graphic photographs and video for student impact and engagement.

Angela,

Good use of technology and sharing. Do not hesitate to expand on that and increase that student engagement.

Antoine Lewis

Currently using a mixed format that includes a school wide portal system that integrates classroom content/documents, grading book, forums and feedback systems.

Also using Wordpress develpment for class blogs to better dissemenate information.

Works great! I love technology!

Sign In to comment