Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Classroom Technology

Describe the technology that you are currently using in your classroom. How does the use of it contribute to enhanced learning?

I am currently making extensive use of video tutorials that I have found on the Internet. However, I am now exploring different software that will enable me to create my own video tutorials for my students.

Vernon,

It is good to know Vernon that you are creating video tutorials. More and more institutions are using video as a resources as it is in demand from younger students and many learn more effectively from a video versus text. A great tool and website is Adobe as they have tools that allow you to record, create webinars and tutorials.

Antoine Lewis

I currently use a combination of powerpoint and video as well as internet sources for movies and extra research material.

Students are more technology friendly because it is something that they are comfortable with as a learning tool.

I use a lot of interesting technology in my classrooms the ones I use the most are slideshare, dropbox and google reader.

Slideshare is youtube for presentations so you can find a wealth of information for students to use on any subject.

Dropbox is a cloud storage system which is very useful for sending and receiving large files from and to your students.

Google Reader which allows them to link all of their of RSS feeds into one place. Allowing them to read/share and discover new RSS feeds from other students. I often assign them to link one article from their feed a week and write why it is relevant to them. This is extremely useful for research classes.

Gregory,

For many of us in education you can’t go wrong with powerpoint but often times college students feel we use that delivery method to much. Powerpoint allows you to use pictures and text. . A great tool and website is Adobe as they have tools that allow you to record, create webinars and tutorials also. Thanks for sharing and explaining the methods you are using.

Antoine Lewis

Chris,

It is good to know that you are using methods of visual learning. More and more institutions are using technology such as slideshare as a resources as it is in demand from younger students and many learn more effectively from a video versus text. A great tool and website is Adobe as they have tools that allow you to record, create webinars and tutorials also. Thanks for sharing and explaining the methods you are using.

Antoine Lewis

We also use Virtual Videos that simulate the work environment and provide "real life" scenarios for students to interact with and do assessments and problem solving.

In the past, we also used iclickers and online questions during class. The iclickers enable the instructors to know who really understood the material and answered the question correctly. The students also receive instant feedback regarding the correct answer and see how well they did in comparison to the rest of the class.

Jacalynn,

Good to know that you provide videos as many students have different learning styles. The iclickers feature seems to be one that more institutions should use from what you have described. Being able to successfully assess who may not understand the course material is an important tool for faculty. Students appreciate timely and quality feedback which allows them to gage how well they are doing in a course and shows them you want to see them be successful academically.

Antoine Lewis

As an instructor in the paralegal curriculum, classroom technology is imperative to allow access to legal forms provided by Federal and state courts throughout the United States in subjects such as bankruptcy, personal injury, jury instructions, filing requirements, filing cases and lawsuits in Federal and state courts electronically, an appropriate case research using Westlaw and Lexus Nexus.

Kathleen,

Paralegals are more popular within the law profession than in years past. After doing my own research I see that LexisNexis and Westlaw is a form of classroom technology that is very useful to legal professionals. With classroom technology evolving I foresee instructors teaching law with web based simulations so that students can act as lawyers in a role-playing situation.

A good read is papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1865880

Antoine Lewis

I currently use the same resources. Sometimes I find it helpful to refer to youtube videos to give the students something to look at. The powerpoints are not always so simple to understand because they often have more words than pictures.

Brandy,

I agree that many times showing PowerPoint is not always simple to understand unless you add pictures, relevant content and your voice recorded if an online course. I am often asked what the most effective classroom technology is. I understand that opinions will vary, but I believe the best technology depends on the instructional goal but the instructor must be comfortable with.

Antoine Lewis

I began this technology class in hopes of learning ways to engage my class. I have to admit that the reason I took this class is because I thought I was behind in tecnology. As I move along in this course I realize I know more than I thought.
When I started teaching Cosmetology and Barbering about 6 months ago the only thing in my class was the curiculum notebook and a chalk board. Luckly I'm still pastionate about the industry after 35 years, and I will find a way to instill the same passion. I do a lot of hands on learning techniuqes, but alas there are still test(paper and pencil) I have to prepare them for. It's been very hard to keep an adult class from falling asleep.

Corina,

It is good to know you still have the same passion you had before. Many times as faculty we must use various methods to keep the student engaged as many learn and gain interest differently. I often switch from lecture to group discussion to hands on learning every 15-20 minutes to hopefully get the classroom on its toes.

Antoine Lewis

I like the switching every 15-20 minutes advice. It seems a good way to keep the older group awake. I'm going to try that one.

Corina,

Good luck trying that out and keeping your students engaged

Antoine Lewis

I use jeroo. It is a program to help beginner programmers learn to program using limited syntax. It allows them to work on their problem solving skills without a ton of syntax to memorize.

I also used quizlet.com. I have students create flash cards the they can share with the class. They can use the flash cards on a mobile device, take quizzes, and play games to study.

Kathryn,

Quizlet sounds like a winner as students define what they need to learn, and we the instuctors provide the resources to make it happen.

Antoine Lewis

Sign In to comment