Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How ELL Students Learn | Origin: ED202

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching English Language Learners --> How ELL Students Learn

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Students from other countries face a different challenge in class, this could be lack of confidence and things like being homesick.

The fact is that there must have a special atention in class.

Making the class enjoyable, with humor and good consideration, will create a better environment for the student to feel better with the class, the teacher and themselfs.    

Builing relationships helps the ELL learner transitions in learning.

ELL students need additional support and will have a better chance to succeed if they have a strong support group.

It can take many years for students to catch up to apporpriate proficiency. It is important to create a network of encouragement.

It takes several years for grade appropriate learning.  Students need to feel comfortable and be challenged in order to achieve the learning that is needed to master the English language.

I learned that students from other countries not only face the same difficulties as other students but also additional ones as well. They could be homesick or worried about mispeaking in class. 

Six to ten years to reach grade-appropriate reading and writing proficiency in English, could only truly accomplished by supporting ELL students in all aspects. Their worries and anxiety to learn in class can be improved with support and ecouragement from their teachers and staff. I find that being humorous and striving to make the lesson at hand relateable to them helps significantly. 

Students must obtain a comfort level in learning the new language and the environment must feel safe as they progress.

Students who have a strong support network are more likely to succeed.

Always try to be the best support for ELL students as this will lead them to success.

English vocabulary is one of the strongest predictors of English word reading. There is a strong connection between vocabulary knowledge and effective text comprehension. 

It takes many years for an ELL to reach grade appropriate reading and writing proficiency.  This is makes it difficult for those students who are older to achieve before they graduate.  Many people don't realize how long it takes for an ELL to comfortably communicate.  From experience, I've noticed ELL lack confidence in communicating with other in class because they feel like an outsider.  I've been able to communicate with some ELL in their first language so that it eases their anxiety some.

THE SETTING SHOULD BE WELCOMING AND HAVE A CONSISTENT FLOW SO STUDENTS DO NOT FEEL BOXED IN. THERE SHOULD BE AN OPTION OF VARIOUS ACTIVITIES TO FULFILL ALL NEEDS.

There is a lot of pressure on ELL students, particularly in a large group setting.

Building a safe environment for the ELL student will help them feel more relaxed while they are learning.  Having a good support structure has helped ELL students succeed as well.

I have worked with a diversity of ESL learners over the years.  I offer additional interaction to help facilitate their learning and help them feel comfortable.  I have found some would indicate they are having problems with English when they are actually good.  My favorite phrase is "you speak better than me" therefore we will not use that as an excuse.  There are some who can not assimilate to be successful in the classroom.  At any rate, I work with all, offer encouragement and most have been successful with this approach.  

We have to be mindful is communication a cultural deficit or a communication challenge?

Faculty can help students increase their comfort level in the classroom by using humor and engaging students. When ELL students are more comfortable in a classroom, they have more skill in using English.

A strong support system and effective instructor guidance makes the learning process easier (although it does that years to master)

I like the suggestions of a strong support system which would include some type of tutoring, I also believe that it has to do with vocabulary the more words they know the better they can speak. I also like the suggestions of bringing humor into the class and making the ELL students feel as comfortable as possible.

However lets not forget that the American school system is lacking in many facets compared to Europe. As an example, for a regular German student they take German for years, English is not considered to be a foreigen language so they take English for at least 6 years. Then, to graduate from something similar to highschool they have to have an additional 3 years of a foreign language. I am confident that this is similar in the eastern regions as well.

Sign In to comment